Chapter Forty-Eight

"Brinley, wake up," someone shakes my shoulders.

My eyes open slowly, but no images show up in my vision. "I can't see-"

"Shh," Clarin's calming voice comes to me. "You're okay. Remember? It's temporary."

I control my breathing again and nod. I'm temporarily blind. Right.

"I'm going to help you get dressed now, okay?" Clarin asks, assisting me in standing up.

"Yeah," I nod again. "Thanks."

"I'm going to hand you a shirt, can you take yours off by yourself?"

"Yes." I take the shirt she hands me and switch them out. Once that's on, she hands me a new pair of shorts. I throw them on, but lose my balance. I don't know where to land, what to grab. I'm just going down. Lucky for me, Clarin catches my arm and steadies me before I hit my head or do any serious damage.

"Here, do you want to walk down to the kitchen or should I bring the food up here?" Clarin asks me.

"I can come downstairs," I say. I don't want to be treated like an ill person 24/7. I can do some things, and I need to prove that. I drag my hand along the wall to find my way to the stairs. I take one step at a time, slowly and cautiously. I'm almost halfway down when I hear a voice.

"Need some help?" Joey asks.

I shake my head. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Okay," he says. But I know he hasn't left my side. He's going to follow me all the way down.

"What time is it?" I ask him, mostly so it isn't so silent.

"Almost nine," is his reply.

When I finally make it down the stairs, I try to think back to which direction the kitchen is. I search to the back of my mind what way I turn in this confusingly large home. I wouldn't ever admit it, but I'm thankful when Joey grabs my hand and starts to lead me to the left, then to the right and left again.

"Good morning, Brinley," Mrs. Michaels' sweet voice says. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Fine," I shrug. Not fine, actually. It was terrible. I woke up about fifteen times to horrifying nightmares. And not only that, but when I opened my eyes for consolation, I couldn't see. No, it was not fine. She doesn't need to know that, of course.

"I'm glad. Why don't you come take a seat and I'll get you some waffles?" She asks.

"Sure. Thank you," I smile.

Joey takes me over to a chair and pulls it out for me. I sit down and hear a plate drop in front of me. A fork is placed in my hand. I feel around my plate for a little while. I can't find my food. I either stab my placemat or miss the waffles and fruit.

"Here," Joey says, taking the fork from me. "I'll help you out."

He pokes the food for me and then gives me back the fork. I feel like an idiot. I try to find the cup of water, but all I find is air and a flower vase. I sigh, giving up. Joey puts the glass in my hand. I should be so thankful that he's patient with me, but I'm not. I'm just frustrated.

I stand up from my spot and find my way out the room with my hands reaching out in front of me. I don't really care where I go. I just need out. Now.

The first door I find, I pull open. I slam it behind me and slide down the back of it. My head falls into my knees, which are curled up into my chest. There's really no way I'll get used to this. I don't think I've ever been this dependent on others.

"Brinley?"

I look up towards the sound of Owen's voice. Did I come into his room?

"What's wrong?" He asks, and I hear his footsteps walking towards me.