Epilogue

"Hello, Jonathan."

The blond, bearded, gruff man sits behind the glass window separating the two of us.

"What are you doing here, Brinley?" He asks, frowning as his hands are held in fists so tight that his knuckles are turning white.

"I just wanted to talk to you for a while," I tilt my head. "As you can see, I'm still here."

He doesn't answer, he just glares at me in stillness.

"Your plan failed," I say, staring him straight in the eye with no fear, unlike I've ever been able to do before. "And now that I've tipped off the cops, you've got a lifetime in here."

"What, do you want to shove it in my face some more?" Jonathan growls.

"No. I want to tell you a story," I sit back in my seat and sigh, pursing my lips.

"You're kidding me," he looks at me in disgust.

"I'm not, actually," I say, raising my eyebrows. "Once there was a young girl who was too innocent and naive to know what love was. She fell for a man who was too old for her almost instantly. Little did she know that he was the thing that would hold her back for a good chunk of her high school experience."

Jonathan rolls his eyes, seemingly annoyed. "What's the point of this?"

I ignore him and continue. "He hurt her emotionally and physically and she still stuck with him. She was afraid to let go. Luckily she had some very good friends to help her away. Unfortunately, one of her friends offended her. So, she started dating his twin brother to make him mad."

"You're wasting my time," Jonathan grunts.

"You've got a life of time in here. You should be thanking me for this," I clear my throat. "What she didn't know was that this twin brother was exactly like the first bad man. In fact, they were friends. He attempted to kill her when overcome with rage, but the only thing that happened was her memory was wiped."

"I know how this story goes," Jonathan rolls his eyes, leaning back in his chair. "Can you leave me alone now?"

"The girl didn't know it, but she used to love the one who was helping her. But one day he lost track of her and she ran into the first bad man. He tried to steal her away, but she refused. Eventually he even went so far as to kidnap her. He attempted to kill her, too, but luckily the one she truly loved was there to save her."

"You did love me," Jonathan interjects.

"I did not and you know that," I hiss at him. "The first bad man went to jail. Then there was a new plan, formed while the man was still behind bars. The girl found out about the twin brother and he somehow slid under her radar. So did a new neighbor. He tried to kill her and failed. And so did the brother, for the second time. And everyone, even the girl, thought he succeeded."

Jonathan looks like he's about to say something but he doesn't because I continue.

"Her life flashed before her eyes and everything came back to her at once. She could recall all the forgotten events in her life-"

"Wait, you remember?" Jonathan looks shocked.

"I do. I remember how awful you were to me. I remember every terrifying second of it," I say. I am about to lose my temper on the subject, but I stop myself. "But that's not why I'm here. I'm not going to yell at you."

"Why are you-"

"The girl and her love got through all this together. He helped her through it. He had been there the whole time. It took her too long to realize it. But somehow, some way, after years of pain and suffering, everything worked out," I say.