30 and 31 in Owen's POV

I have to tell her.

After everything we just went through with Jonathan, she hasn't right to know. In fact, it would be wrong to keep any of this from her.

But how could I even try to explain it to her?

Would I just say, "Hey, by the way I have a twin brother who tried to kill you..."

The only way I can think of letting her know is by showing her. My mom called a few hours ago to let me know that she wants me to fly out to Oregon in the morning to see my family. I could easily bring Brinley with me and explain everything from the beginning on the flight there. But the only problem is that her mom would never let her.

I pick apart some of the leaves on the ground. My back is against a huge tree in the park, and it's all silence around me. I left earlier after my phone call with my mom. Joey knows that I'm planning on telling her. I know that I need to.

Just as I'm thinking, the girl herself walks around the corner, arms crossed, scowling straight ahead.

"Brinley?" I call to her, standing up off the ground.

She stops where she is and looks over at me in confusion. Something's obviously gotten her riled up. I would know that look on her face anywhere.

"What's going on?" I ask her, walking over to her slowly.

"Nothing," she says too quickly, blinking a few times.

"Really?" I ask her, tilting my head. "You look pissed."

"Because I am," she looks away and scowls again, crossing her arms further.

"Want to tell me about it?" I ask, at her side now.

"No," she mumbles, averting her gaze. "You wouldn't like it."

I sigh, looking at her for a long time. That's all the more reason to tell me. I bet her mom is saying all sorts of crap about me. She knows I want to tell Brinley about Ian. She knows that that could put her in jail. I'm against that, of course, but if I explained it to my mom first, it wouldn't get that far. I could handle this. All I want to do is be honest. "Let's go for a walk."

I lead her down the park's trail. She doesn't say anything. She must be in a silent battle with herself about this. Just like I am.

I shove my hands in my pockets, a new realization hitting me hard. I did keep something huge from her. I kept an entire portion of her past away from her for other people's benefit. I lied straight to her face so many times. I start to feel sick just thinking about it. She could easily hate me forever after she finds out.

But I have to tell her. Even if she is going to hate me, she has to know. It's her right. It's her past! I don't care if she hates me, I don't care if her mom hates me. She deserves the truth.

"We should talk," I say before I can back down.

"What?" She looks over at me in shock. Her eyes are wide, lips slightly parted in anxiousness. She doesn't even understand what's coming.

"C'mon, let's go sit on that bench," I say, feeling like a brick has landed at the pit of my stomach.

I distance myself from her on the bench. She seems confused about that because we're always connected. But no, I need some space. Just in case she decides she wants to punch me in the face I will have a half second of advance notice.

I open my mouth to start to say something. I need to tell her. I need to tell her. I need to- "Why don't you talk first," I suggest, throat constricting.

"About what?" She snaps at me.

"Why you're so angry," I raise my eyebrows.

"Right," she frowns. "Well... My mom and I got into a huge argument. And I left."