Chapter Forty-Five

I grab the fluffiest blanket in the room and hurry over to the couches. Owen is already sitting there waiting for me. I settle down right beside him and his arm drapes around me. I shift a bit, then shift some more, but it does nothing to help my cause.

"This sucks," I frown.

Owen looks over at me in shock. "What?"

"I can't get comfortable like this for the first time in my life," I explain in a very frustrated manner. "Well, that I remember at least."

I shift again and again, and end up lounging out on the couch with my head in Owen's lap. There. Perfect.

"Well, don't you two look cozy," Drake smirks at us as he walks over to his spot on the opposite couch.

"Yeah," Parker agrees. Then he sighs. "I really need a girlfriend."

"That you do," Ian grins at his friend. "You little loner."

"Hey, I don't see you with any girls," Parker retorts to Ian.

"That's only because Rena's out of town this week," Ian smirks.

"Well, I don't see Drake with any girls," Parker shoots a glance at the other guy.

"I've got two, actually. These hot little Hispanic twins," Drake smirks.

"Ben doesn't have-"

"Can we start the movie?" Phill asks irritably.

He's glaring at everyone, arms crossed. I purse my lips, wondering to myself why he's their friend. Nobody seems to like him much.

"Sure," Ian nods, moving to put the movie in the player. "Clarin chose a chick flick, sorry guys."

"I love chick flicks," Parker grins.

"Because you like to dream of what might've been if you had a love life?" Drake suggests.

"Shut up," Parker scowls.

As the movie begins, I find myself not so much paying attention to what's going on as to what's going on out. Owen's fingers are running through my hair and smoothing it out. Clarin is sitting across from me, smirking at me every time I look over at her. Phill keeps giving me death glares when I make a sound. Drake and Parker are enjoying their popcorn loudly, which also annoys Phill. Jake is looking at me sadly, to which I quickly change my focus. Ben is playing on his phone, not interested in the movie at all.

"As much as I hate to admit it, none of these guys seem murderous," I whisper to Owen. "I may not particularly like some of them," I glance over at Phill, "but they really don't seem like they want to kill me."

"I've been feeling the same way," Owen nods. "But we aren't going to take any chances, right? No more late night beach trips. That was dangerous and you know it."

I frown. "Yeah."

"It's my job to keep you safe, Brinley. I can't let you run off into situations like that again," Owen says. I turn to look up at his eyes now, and his face is full of concern. "Especially without me there, or knowing."

"I know, it was stupid," I nod.

"I know you hate it when I baby you, but I would hate it more to see you get hurt again," he says, and his eyes travel from mine to the stitches down my arm from where Jonathan cut me. "It's hard not to be protective when I love you so much."

"I know," I say quietly with a smile. "I love you too."

He leans over my and kisses me. I don't let him go away so fast. I put an arm around his neck and pull him closer to me. Someone, probably Drake, whistles. I ignore it, opening my eyes to see Owen smiling at me. He tucks a stray hair behind my ear and does the cliché 'You're beautiful' thing.