Chapter Nineteen

"C'mon," Joey says. "We've got to go. Now."

"Are you really trying to boss me around?" Owen asks, rolling his eyes.

"I am. We are going to be late if we don't hurry the crap up!" Joey says, ushering us forward.

"Chill out," Owen says.

So, apparently I used to enjoy going to the lake. That's about an hour away. I'm now in a navy blue swimsuit that I didn't even know existed. I'm walking on my feet now, even though it's still a little painful. And it's five in the morning.

Joey is the master of the lake. He has decided it's best to leave early and be there earlier than anyone else, so we can have some time alone on the water. His parents own some jet skis and we have to go pick them up on the way, as well.

"Wait," Owen says, turning around abruptly.

"What is it this time?" Joey rolls his eyes, frustrated.

"I left my sunglasses," Owen replies, walking back into the dorm room.

"He's so unprepared," Joey says, looking at me.

"I agree," I smile at him.

I've decided that I'm going to be optimistic and enjoy myself. If this is what I used to like doing, I'll like it now as well. I'm sure of it. Owen's words have actually started feeling like the truth. Every time I begin to doubt anything, I replay them in my head, and I remember that it's okay. He believes we're meant for each other, then I can believe it to.

As soon as Owen comes back into the hallway, we're rushed down the stairs and out the door by Joey, who keeps checking his watch. It amuses me how serious about time he is. I don't think I've seen him serious about anything in the time I've known him... since the accident, of course.

We're taking Owen's friend Dan's truck, which we picked up last night. It has a trailer connected to it so that we can hook the jet skis onto it.

Owen gets into the driver's seat, and then Joey tries to get into the passenger seat.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Owen stops him, holding out a hand. "The lady can sit up front."

"Who are you kidding? He is the lady," I say, not being able to help myself.

Owen chuckles, and Joey smirks.

"There's the Brinley I know and love," Joey says. Then he steps back allowing me to hop in the front seat.

"Step on the gas," Joey commands, just as soon as my door is closed.

"I know how to drive," Owen says.

"That doesn't mean you do it well," Joey retorts. "Or quickly."

"I'm not an illegally fast driver," Owen shrugs.

"Neither am I," Joey purses his lips.

<•>•<•>

Halfway through the drive, after picking up the jet skis, Joey insists on taking the wheel. He moves to the driver's seat and Owen moves back.

"I'm lonely back here," Owen sighs.

"Too bad your pretty girlfriend's stuck up here with me," Joey cackles.

I stay silent, realizing he said girlfriend. Am I his girlfriend? Is it okay to make that assumption? I'd like to. I'd love to.

I hold my hand out behind my chair, where Owen can reach it. We hold hands across the row.

"Wow. Really?" is all Joey says.

Not five minutes after Joey began driving incredibly dangerously, he gets pulled over.The cop taps on his window, and Joey curses.