Chapter Thirty-Seven

Mrs. Michaels is a fantastic cook. I learn that while sitting at a full table for eight. There are plates covered in smoked veggies on kebabs, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, and steak. I almost can't separate my face from my fork enough to speak to the others at the table.

"So, Clarin, how was your flight here?" Mrs. Michaels asks her, wiping her face politely with her napkin.

"Oh, it was fine. I sat by this really good-looking guy, so that made it better," Clarin says with a wink, and there are 'Oooh's heard around the table. "His name was Lucas. And he had a British accent!"

"No way!" Ian looks over at his mom across the table. "That's got to be Lucas Dean, coming back from his grandparents'."

"Clarin, you're in luck," Mrs. Michaels says with a laugh. "He's our next door neighbor."

Clarin's eyes get large, and her mouth hangs open. "No way! That's... That's..."

"Why don't we invite him to the pier with us tomorrow?" Ian asks with a grin.

"Yeah, do that!" Joey says with a laugh. "Clarin could use a boyfriend."

Clarin blushes a dark shade of red. "I guess I could, huh?"

I can't help but smile, thinking of how nice it'll be for her to find a guy to spend time with. Some way to keep her from worrying about me all the time. She deserves to be so happy.

"Why wait until the pier tomorrow?" Mr. Michaels asks with a loud chuckle. "We could have a bonfire on the beach tonight!"

"Yes! Great idea, hon, let's do that," Mrs. Michaels smiles at her husband.

I look at Clarin who sits beside me. "What's he look like?"

She smiles, indulging me into the world of description of this British boy. He's tall, blonde, got great teeth, got a great taste in clothes... She seems really excited about this guy. And I can't stop smiling because that's amazing. This is just what she needs.

"Yeah, so his hair is practically as smooth as a cloud," Clarin laughs. "Don't even ask how I know."

I laugh with her, grasping the table to hold myself up. When my focus raises, I stop, though, my smile fading. Owen is watching me with a closed expression. His eyes are so full of emotion, though. I swallow, blink a few times, then look down at the table. My hands feel a little shaky. I clasp them together, trying to ignore the feeling of eyes directly on me.

"You alright, Brinley?" Clarin asks me.

I look up at her and nod. "Yes. I'm fine."

"Okay," she smiles, then takes a bite of her potatoes.

I can't help but think back to what she was telling me earlier. About going easy on Owen. I mean, I know he loves me and wanted to protect me... But how can he not see how wrong it was to hold something so huge from me? That's terrible!

But he did apologize, didn't he? I mean, he said he never should have kept the secret from me, he should've told me right away before I found out like this. But still, that's not a big apology.

Yet, what am I expecting? Him to order a mariachi band, serve me food, fan me, and ask me to please, please forgive him? That's ridiculous on my end. He's done everything he can do, hasn't he?

Yes. He has. He's just waiting for my answer.

<•>•<•>

"Hello," says the tall blonde with a sexy British accent. "Nice to see you again, Clarin."

I see Clarin blushing again, standing just in front of him to answer the door. Joey and I cling to each other in excitement. He told me earlier that Clarin hasn't talked about a boy since last year, so this is a real feat.