Chapter Twenty-Four

"Get up," are the words I wake up to. It takes me one moment to realize where I am, one moment to realize what's happened isn't a dream, one moment to notice Jonathan standing in front of me with an annoyed look on his face.

"Stop screaming, would you?"

I reach a hand to my face and realize it's soaked with tears. I try to speak, but my throat burns with the effort. I wipe off my cheeks with the back of my hand and attempt to put up a brave front.

"What time is it?" I ask him, voice croaking.

"About five in the morning," he says, again looking annoyed. "But we've got some things to talk about anyways. Lucky for you, you won't be receiving punishment for waking me up this early this time."

I swallow down my fear. He wouldn't punish me this time. What's his idea of punishment? I don't think I want to know.

"I said, get up," he says, forcefully.

My legs shake as I drag myself up off the ground. Even though it should be starting to get lighter and warmer, I wouldn't know. This is a solid cement box that I'm trapped in. I put one hand to the back of my head, which is now aching again from when I was shoved out of the car.

"Follow me," he says, grabbing my arm and dragging me away with him.

I can't do anything to resist as he tosses me into the other room and into a new man with jet black hair and a large build that hints that he is taking steroids. He grabs hold of me, and I can do nothing to release his grip on me. Maybe I should stop trying.

"Alright, Brinley, I've got a deal to offer you," Jonathan says, looking bored.

I try to keep my breathing steady and keep calm in the large man's grasp. It's a challenging feat.

"I want you to stay here with me-"

"I would rather stab my own eyes out-"

"I wasn't finished," Jonathan looks annoyed. "I want you to stay here with me-"

"I would rather slice off my own hand-"

"Shut up!" Jonathan bellows, walking towards me.

Momentarily, I'm terrified. I wonder if I've made a terrible mistake by poking at his nerves. I'm stuck two inches from his red, angry face. I try to take a deep breath and stay still.

"You need to learn not to treat me like that," he says. "Now, I told you I wouldn't hurt you, yes?" I nod feebly. "Tommy."

The same large man that holds me back releases me for a moment. I turn around in surprise. And as I do, he punches me in the temple. My vision begins to blur and I stumble back, hand clenching my head. I let out a moan in pain, my hand finding a wall to lean on so I don't pass out.

"I didn't ever promise that others won't hurt you... If you continue to disrespect me as you do," Jonathan says, walking over to me again.

"You don't deserve respect," I say coldly. "You've kidnapped me, you've hurt me, you've insulted me-"

"I've insulted you?" He says angrily. "I haven't hurt you-"

"You slapped me. You shoved me against a wall-"

"And you deserved that."

"I do not deserve any of this," I say softly. "Leave me alone."

Jonathan takes hold of my wrist and pulls me roughly towards him. His face is so close to mine that I can feel his disgusting breath on my face and smell the harsh stench of alcohol. He narrows his eyes at me, lips pressed into a thin line.

"You are too stubborn for your own good," he says in a deadly quiet voice. "It'll get you killed one of these days. I would watch my mouth if I were you."

I stay quiet, biting my lip so angry words don't fly out of them.

"I'm offering you a simple deal," he says again. "I take you to stay with me, or, I take Owen and shoot him in the face."

My eyes widen in horror. "You couldn't."

"I overpowered him just yesterday, didn't I, Brinley?" He says with a smirk. "I'm sure I could do it again, especially with a gun in my hand."

"Why would you do that? What is wrong with you?" I ask, shaking my head.

"Absolutely nothing," he says. "I just want the girl I love back."

"Unrequited love. I'm never going to return it," I tell him.

"Have it your way," he says simply.

He makes his way across the room and to a table where a black bag sits. He unzips it slowly, then begins searching through it. He pulls something out, looking remorseful and smug all at once. He's holding a knife.

"W-what is that for?" I ask him, heart pounding a million times a second.

He slowly makes his way over towards me, holding it at his side. I can feel my terror rising too high.

"If you refuse to love me, I'm refusing to let you love anyone else," Jonathan says in a rough voice.

Hysteria is consuming me and I can't breathe. The knife's blade shines with very step, taunting me. I have nowhere to go. I have nothing to do to save myself.

I do the only thing I can think of. I sprint. Towards the small cement room I spent the night in. I slam the door shut and turn the lock from the inside. I hear shouts and angry grunts from the other side.

I huddle myself against the opposite wall, unable to get a breath. I can't think straight. He's trying to kill me. I feel tears falling down my cheeks. My whole body is shaking.

"Get out here you b-"

"Jonny," another person's voice says. "We have a key."

My eyes widen and my stomach lurches. No. No no no. I clutch my elbows tightly, closing my eyes and pretending this isn't happening to me. I'm going to die.

"Where is it? Where'd you put it, Sam?" Jonathan's angry voice sounds.

I need to get out... And now. I crawl over towards the door and peer underneath where there is a gap. There are no shadows of shoes or people. They must have all gone to search for the key.

I take a deep breath and brace myself before unlocking the door. I pull it open very, very slowly, making sure it doesn't squeak. I spot all five men rummaging through bags across from this door, backs facing me. They're idiots.

I very silently make my way out of the room, adrenaline coursing through me. I pray that the door is unlocked and I can sprint. Please let me be able to escape. By the time I reach the door and my hand is against the cool knob, someone lets out a gasp of surprise.

"Get her!" Jonathan yells. "Go, now!"

I yank the metal door open as fast as I can and start running. I don't know where I am or where I'm going. All I know is that I need to find someone to help me. Although these guys seem to have done a good job of finding a deserted area.

"Brinley!" Jonathan screams. "Get back here! Stop, now!"

I'm attempting to catch breaths but my lungs are screaming in pain. My legs are aching, my heart pounding.

Someone tackles me from behind. I find the black-haired man, I now know as Tommy, beside me. He grabs my arm looking frustrated, and starts dragging me away towards the door we just exited.

I struggle against him, kicking and thrashing, but he doesn't seem the least bit phased by any of this. Jonathan looks pleased with him, his knife now away.

"Thank you, Tommy," he says, eyeing me. "This feisty brat needs to learn her place."

He continues to pull me all the way back to the place in my nightmares.