TatVanté

The scent of clean linen wafts around her station as she wipes down the seat with a paper towel, collecting all of the residue from the disinfectant spray she uses with leisure

The scent of clean linen wafts around her station as she wipes down the seat with a paper towel, collecting all of the residue from the disinfectant spray she uses with leisure. An entrance bell rings nearly every ten to fifteen minutes now that the shop's rush hour has slowed down. Flo slides around her station, quickly getting things in order as a preparation of her lunch break. Dozens of teenagers and young adults run in and out Broken China on a daily. Piercings, tattoos, they did it all. They're the hottest shop in Cleveland. She needs a clean station and she deserves her lunch.

"Ayo, Flo!" Sheldon pulls back the curtain of her station, a look-book in his hand with one finger holding on to a specific page that he wishes not to loose. "You goin' for lunch?"

"Why, you want me to buy you somethin'?" Sheldon's head nods with eager excitement. Whenever Flo goes out to buy herself something, she brings him back a meal he's never tried. The cultural expansion through food always excited him. "Sorry, baby. I just got a fruit salad in the back I'm gonna' eat. I got you tomorrow, m'kay?"

A disappointed Sheldon continues his nodding as he points at Flo. "That's Jake, Flo."

"You coutin' on me to feed you, a grown ass man? You're right, it is."

Sheldon groans, knowing Flo is nothing short of right. "Ai'ight fine but I'm goin' to be lookin' for that?"

Flo waves him off. Understanding he is dismissed, Sheldon exits her space, closing the curtain behind himself. The agonizing grunts of a man getting tattooed in the station next door seeps through the thin walls separating the five stations on the left side of the building. Flo gets up from her seat with a chuckle as she struts to the back kitchen. She settles at the front desk, laughing and giggling with her favorite co-worker. Marie is the only person in the building she truly associates with outside of working hours.

Marie runs her fingers through her hair in preparation of putting her headband back on. She says, "I don't know why. He still swears his friend saw me at the MC Hammer concert at The Q and it's like, let it go. Just let it go, y'know?"

"That's embarrassing," Flo sighs. "So he's trying to get back witchu' or what?" Her eyes bounce between the colorful bowl of nutrients in her hand and Marie's wandering focus as she organizes her desk. Feathered, glittery, puffer ball. Marie has every pen a teenage girl could dream of in every color the human eye can see. "Because I mean, like, if you think he won't take it well then maybe we should speed up the process of moving. My ex's cousin's stepsister was killed for breaking up with her boyfriend. No joke, he slit her throat."

Marie's heart is chipped by Flo's words. "That's crazy," she breathes. "It's either stay with a man and risk getting your ass beat or leave and get killed. I'm so tired of men existing, Flo."

"He doesn't know your friends or family or anything, right?" Marie shakes her head. The two never made it that far. Flo's plastic fork stabs into a sliced strawberry as she proposes the best solution she can think of on the fly. "You for sure can stay with me for a little bit. Don't even sign your lease again."