BossVanté

version one

version one

I carefully place the clothes on the rack as I let out a huff. I'm tired, I am so tired. I didn't get any sleep last night, to be perfectly honest. Let's just say my room was occupied by someone else considering that I made it home so late. It's stressful but, I've been putting in my hours. I should be on my own in the proper manner in a short frame, I pray, but... until then, I have to assure that all of my shifts are cut by five o'clock. The bus leaves at fifteen after.

"Joi, DeVante wants you."

The voice is tracked back to my co-worked, Loni. The snicker behind her tone trails off into a knowing look. It's al because of who is seeking me. My manager is really just an asshole. I wish there was another way to put it. Well, there isn't. He's an ass who shows his ass at any given chance because he thinks it'll get him some ass. For as long as I've known him, I always knew that he was a douche for no particular reason. He's got two brothers who are absolute darlings and yet, he decided to be the runt of the group on the personality spectrum.

I roll around the corner, leaning against the door frame of my boss' office. "You wanted me?"

"Yeah," he says with a hint of distraction as he types up his last couple of sentences on his computer. DeVante's head turns as our hazel eyes come to meet. "I need you to open tomorrow." I shake my head. No problem but, I can feel the catch lingering. In the split second that I place my weight on my dominant foot to push myself back to the floor, he throws out another set of words. "And close tonight."

My eyes popping out of their sockets, I pull myself back into his office. "Uh, DeVante, I can't close. I really have to get home by five thirty and you know I live a long minute away."

"Okay," he simply says.

"So, Loni or somebody can close for me?"

He chuckles to himself, the chuckle is quite soft as he tilts his head at me in what can almost be looked at as amusement. "Nope," he says with a smile. "That's all I needed you for."

I blow air through my nostrils while clenching my fist as I tip toe back into general population. It's no damn way that working at god damned H&M should be worth this kind of stress. I come in everyday and do my job. I'm the fastest stock taker in the back, I can sell anything on these racks, customers love me, I work the register well, I clean during my breaks, I bust my ass! I'm the best damn employee that these bitches got and he still works me like a mule. Scheduling me at all kinds of crazy times, picking on me, micromanaging me, all kinds of foul shit. Everybody sees it and everybody knows it. DeVante's got some sort of unspoken problem with Joi that we all can clearly see. I'm tired of it and to know that I can't quit because there's no guarantee that I can land another job is the worst part about all of it.

Exhaling another puff as I snatch a misplaced hanger off of the rack, I can feel Loni and Dave sprinting over to me. "What'd he do now?" Loni's question should tell you how often DeVante picks at me. "He wants you clean the celing fans? He wants you to clean the gutters?"