RaeVanté

2018 draft just like ROMEOVanté

2018 draft just like ROMEOVanté. Very reminiscent of that era so slight cringe factor. Only 1.5 chapters were completed.

My eyes begin to burn. Maybe I'm staring too hard?

"What are you looking for?"

This body of mine jolts forward in shock. As my head turns, a breeze brushes through my bangs. Backing away from the counter I leaned on, I glance up at my boss. Well, she isn't my boss but she is my boss in a six degrees of separation kind of way. Her neck-length hair is scooped up into a clip as she glares down at me. A look of shame arises upon my face. I turn around, sulking, to walk back to my designated counter. Her stares pressures me. I am left unsure of what to do next, so, I start wiping a counter that may already be clean with a towel that may be dirty. All along, she's staring down at me, forcing me to act my motions off as if they are planned, as if I know what exactly what I'm doing.

Slowly, she slithers away.

"Looking out for your little boyfriend?"

A falsetto-based gasp flies from my lungs. My head snaps back to only be eye to eye with my co-worker, and friend, X. "I hate you," I mumble. Turning back to the counter, I make sincere attempts to regain my natural breathing patter before I hyperventilate. Next thing you know, I'm in the hospital for no two hours, they tell me to stay home for a day and I lose my pay. This is something I know I can't afford.

X laughs. He hops on top of the counter. "You stare at ol' dude's head everyday."

He's right, I did.

I know for a fact that he's well over six feet. The way his barber always shapes his box cut adds another inch or two. Everyday, every single day, I watch him stand at the bus stop. I wonder where he goes. Actually, I usually ponder on a much more important question. "How come he never comes in here, X." The despair in my voice could break the spirit of a hippy, I'm telling you. "What's wrong with dating the girl who works the counter at Roy's Pizza, huh?"

"Slow ya' roll, shorty. One, you've never seen his face." Sending X a cold glare, my nerves are ruffled as my brows furrow. "And before you spit that same ol' the back of his head is so beautiful type shit, I need you to take in consideration that he could be butt-ugly." He laughs. "Second, he just might like pizza. I heard McDonald's is hiring, the one on 38th? Go try your luck over there." I stand staring back at him. "What? Don't tell me you ain't never thought about it."

"I did, actually."

X snickers, his head tilts to the side. "So what's stopping you?"

I quietly utter, "He takes the 423 and 38th street isn't on their route." X's eyes widen, a loud roaring belt of thunderous laughter exploits the humor he finds in my situation. "This is not funny!"