VisitVanté

Something quick and slight while I work on the alternate ending

Something quick and slight while I work on the alternate ending. Hope it gets the job done! Thanks for reading. ❤️

"Hi, Daddy!"

His smile spread from ear to ear, eyes twinkling as he watched his heartbeat grin back at him. She looks exactly like her mother and with his blood flowing through her veins, Kennedy's bright eyes remain as the only definite reason he'd drop an atomic bomb without thinking twice. "Hey, Boo!" His head tilts with his coos. "I missed you, baby. You look so pretty with your little bow."

Kennedy sits up, riddled with joy. "Thank you, Daddy." The three-year-old's mind leaps to her topic of desire. She's been waiting to tell him her good news all week. "We got a puppy, Daddy! We got a puppy and I named him Pinky and he's really small. He's a teeny tiny baby with itty bitty baby paws—"

"Tell him whose puppy Pinky is." Kennedy turns back to her mother and points to herself. "No, Kennedy." Squealing, Kennedy bursts into a fit of giggles in her mother's lap. "Who's Pinky's daddy, Ken?"

"Oh! Skills is Pinky's daddy!"

DeVante, hiding his knowledge of the events, painfully chuckles as the bittersweet feelings of watching his daughter grow pick at his mind. "I want you to stand with Auntie Portia for a second, babe. I need to have a quick conversation with Daddy." Kennedy's aunt lifts her from her mother's lap, leaving DeVante alone with the mother of his child. She was once his girlfriend but one can say things are complicated at the moment.

There's no time for silence regardless of the lumps in their throats every time they are forced to look one another in the eye.

Physical connection between the two is at an astronomical level but the 50 mm thick glass keeping them separated as they speak through a phone hinders that portion of their tether. For the last seven months, they've been forced to sit eye to eye without being able to truly feel one another's presence. He's finishing the last year of his sentence but that never made things easier. Being able to go from phone calls and letters to visiting in person is the brightest part of the family's current situation and soon it will become brighter once DeVante passes the probation of his new facility and is allowed to move to the family visiting room... A place where he can he hold his daughter for the first time since she was still in diapers.

Noticing the way she's been watching his hidden hand, DeVante prepares an explanation. "Rachel..."

The shaking of Rachel's head is more for herself than DeVante. Her emotions know how to get the best of her and Kennedy's presence calls for her to keep everything wrapped up tight until she sits in her bed, wearing one of DeVante's hockey jerseys, drinking wine straight from the bottle. "No, don't sit here calling my name." His healing wounds are revealed as he sets his arm on the table, sighing. "I know you see her. I know you see how big she's gotten and you still in here showing your ass," Rachel grits.

"You think I want to be in here fighting?"

DeVante took it as disrespect. He's doing everything he can to remain afloat in a sea of survival. If anything, his connections established have benefited him. DeVante's reach had never worked its way into the local cells of his state until he was busted for possession of a controlled substance. The mole— who has been missing for three months— in the organization tried their best though DeVante had recently dropped nearly every substance on his person, leaving him in a fortunate enough space to only be sentenced eighteen months rather than the years or even decades he could have gotten. None of his choices from that point on have been made for anyone other than Rachel and Kennedy.

"I'm handling my shit, ai'ight. You see a nigga face not touched but I don't want you worried about all of that. Did you talk to Dal and tell 'em what I needed him to tell Tony?" Rachel nods. "So what he say?"

"He said he rather have Essie tell you because he doesn't think I'll explain it the right way."

It was all a code.

During their last letter exchange, DeVante discreetly asked her if business was still moving along smoothly. It is through that particular freelance code that Rachel delivers the news that she cannot repeat any non-incriminating news and Dalvin suggests she takes a step back from the conversation. DeVante will hear from his brother in due time. It's a known concept that DeVante's business must stay as far away from the ladies in his life as it possibly can. Kennedy must remain blind due to being a child and Rachel's vision is impaired just enough for her to never be liable enough to get snatched up and used as leverage for anyone seeking revenge on DeVante's corner. He goes out of his way from the illegal second social security guard he posses to keep his true identity separate to his multiple homes. He's serious about keeping them safe but even more serious about being a provider, hence why he remains in his work field even after wanting out.

Nodding, DeVante takes in her statement and allows it to register in his mind. The discomfort on Rachel's face is all too telling. "You know we ain't got time to be going back and forth so let me say this..." Rachel's eyes fall on the redness surrounding his scabbing knuckle. DeVante's grip tightens on the phone being held to his ear, putting an extra ounce of bass in his voice. "Look at me." It never took anything more than that for her to given him the time of day. "I understand none of shit is ideal and I know you hate it. This the first and the last time you gone ever have to bring my daughter to see me through no bullet proof glass. It's almost over and I swear on my life, Rach, when it's over then it's gone stay over."

Rachel looks over her shoulder. "Come say bye to Daddy, Kennedy."

As Kennedy rushes over, DeVante makes his final claim of affirmation. "I love you, Rachel."

In her mind, Rachel hesitated by waiting at least an entire two seconds but in reality, her mutual declaration was nearly instant. "I love you too," replies Rachel. Kennedy leaps into Rachel's lap. Visiting her father is Kennedy's favorite part of her week and she's got the routine down packed. "Here, say bye to Daddy..." Rachel hands Kennedy the phone.

Kennedy knew what to do the moment she sat in her mother's lap. Her small hand print is less than a quarter of the size of her father's, whose hand is pressed against the glass on the other side. Rachel zones out as her daughter exchanges her usual goodbye vows with her father. Rachel's eyes focus on the prison guard standing closest to DeVante. She can see him purposely walking as slow as he can but the distance is short and he's got to do his job. How much time they have with DeVante is always based on his assigned correctional officer when Kennedy is accompanying Rachel for a visit. The goal has always been to cut the meeting short before Kennedy can see her father be taken away in handcuffs.

"I love you, Kennedy. I'll home soon, baby."

Kennedy pulls her hand away from the window. "I love you too! Bye, Daddy!"

Portia comes to collect Kennedy, guiding her to the door as Rachel places her hand in replacement of Kennedy's. The moment doesn't last long. Before Rachel's very eyes, DeVante is picked up and handcuffed in the process of being taken back to his cell. It's the last of him that Rachel and Kennedy will see for the current time being. Hopefully, by the next visit, they'll be in the family visitations court but for now they are left grasping at broom straws and treating them as golden fleece.