DefenseVanté

Sequel to LawyerVanté

"And you proceeded to enter the home after you realized the door was locked, correct?"

The sweat building around the corners of her hairline reveals streaks of pale skin exposed as the shade beneath her makeup. Her petrified pupils seek refuge in my stare. It pains me to know I can't do anything to help her. Searching for some sort of comfort in the pairs all boring into her as we await her answer to the question, I feel all of my predisposed doubts about her taking the stand stand up in the pit of my stomach, extending the climax to rest in the center of my cerebellum.

Carrie-Anne's speech runs from her usual cadence. "I... Well, I was invited so I—"

Her words are cut by the statement of Ben Heard. "That was a yes or no question, Ms. Jones." I frown at the prosecution team's belligerent driving. She's on the verge of breaking even without having a reason to break. "You proceeded to enter the home even once you were aware of its vacancy, correct? You wanted the home to be vacant, didn't you?"

"Objection," I call out. Judge Edwards eyes fall on my side of the courtroom. "Compound, your honor."

A nod from Judge Edwards allows me to settle down in my seat, my hands smoothening my blazer in the process. "Objection sustained," she states. "Next question."

Heard sighs, shuffling his papers as he huffs with the attitude that he's kept in his pocket since the trial began. "Let's try it this way..." The opening of his statement is more for himself rather than the rest of us. Carrie-Anne's eyes fall to her lap. She's losing confidence in her truth. "Ms. Jones, were you aware that the Delano Residence was vacant upon approach?"

"No."

Pointedly watching him, my index finger rests on my temple as I allow my daggers to haul in Heard's direction. "When arriving, did you hope to find that the home to be vacant," he asks.

Carrie-Anne's defeated tone remains as low as her head hangs. The straightening in my posture is a sign for her to mirror my stance. Hesitantly doing so, she fiddles with the bracelet gifted to her by her now past lover. "I went because he asked me to. He called and asked me to come by. I had no idea they weren't home. By the time I got there, he'd called but I had no idea he called to ask me not to come anymore."

"But you still would have went inside if you did anyway because you told him you wanted Mrs. Delano to learn of the affair?"

My head smacks the center of my forehead. "Objection, your honor. Leading as well as hearsay," I state. Heard's eyes pounce on me. I remain nonchalant about his attempt of intimidation. He's better off wishing for an igloo in hell if he's delusional enough to think his beady blue eyes and pink wrinkles can have any effect on me.