FlyVanté

Unc don't like planes, they say

UncleVanté sequel.

From afar, the figure looked to be dauntingly tall to most. A black sweatsuit bought from a company whose proceeds supported the posthumous foundation of Gianna and Kobe Bryant, a pair of all black Kobe 6, and a black beanie that remains hidden beneath the hood of his thick, cotton hoodie. His niece dressed him. Some looked at his comfort as a failed attempt to be discrete. He didn't ask for the attention, much to his modern dismay, he naturally curated it. Truthfully, he was not as tall as he seemed. His lengthy limbs and hunched back created a conflicting bodily illusion.

His goddaughter remained near him, practically attached to his hip. It took a full week and seven separate arguments for Phoenix to convince him to leave his emotional support entourage aside. Too young girlfriends, friends with criminal records worse than his, and has-been managers were not green lit for their journey. Phoenix was tasked with the challenge to tug on his trust. He was forced to put his all into trusting that she could keep him mentally and emotionally secure for a trip in which only the two of them were welcome.

"Excuse me," a woman called out to him.

Phoenix's head turned first to examine the woman. No older than 45-years-old and sporting a permed honey-blonde pixie cut, the woman places her hand across her exposed cleavage as her smile sprawls across her lips in disbelief. Having gone out with her godfather enough, Phoenix recognizes the signs of an upcoming fan encounter.

"Are you DeVante from Jodeci?"

A small part of him wanted to deny his identity but the majority caved when he felt a familiar flutter of pride set dopamine free in his skull. "Yeah," he told her with a smile. The dark tint of his sunglasses disguised the curios peek he naturally took into her blouse as the beginning letters of a name sprawling across her breast peeked out.

"Oh my God. I just knew it was you," gushed the woman. Her accent designated her the product of a midwestern state. The shortness of ending syllables and dragging of middle vowels hints toward the Windy City. "I saw you walking through TSA and I just knew it was you. Like, you are still so fine." Full cheeks of his lifted, his gum chewing then being exposed. "I loved Jodeci im high school. Me and my friends had our little favorites and I always thought you were the finest one."

Chuckling, DeVante took in the large personality with ease. He's used to such encounters. It was Phoenix who struggled with stomaching the randomness of their halts in motion. She'd gotten comfortable with how much his moments of being recognized have lessened over the last eighteen years. The peace of being in public with her godfather without any fanatic encounters or admiring eyes staring was something she'd grown comfortable with. Now, she had to rework her entire attitude to keep from making a bad impression on his behalf.

He hadn't gotten in a single word since his confirmation when the woman pointed to Phoenix. "Is this your daughter?"

"Yeah, this my goddaughter." His correction was loose. His long bouts of absence in her life left him guilt free based on their lack of biological relation but the love he had for her in his heart overpowered such. He loved her like she was his own.