DaddyVanté

version one

version one.

"And what about you, DeVanté?"

He takes another moment to think of his options. "Uhm, Mariah Carey? She'd be up there on my list but, you– you, like, can't compare her to Whitney or Celine 'cause that's a different kinda' singin'. Like, her range is outta' there but, her tone is different so, like... Yeah, Mariah, definitely." The interviewer nods her head, keeping direct eye contact.

Glancing down at his wrist to adjust his charm bracelet made up of his group's logo. The interviewer, her name's Alondra and her questions haven't snagged a single ounce of DeVanté's attention. His manicured fingernail scratches crystalized saliva from a drool based car ride nap off of his wrist. The ride from the airport was short, there were little to no complaints due to the one person who complains the most being completely knocked out. A real adventure came when the ride to the location of which the interview is being held.

"Thank you for giving me a moment of your time."

Smiling, because it is polite to do so, he nods in her direction anxiously waiting for the cameras to cut. His eyes shoot to his assistant as she enters the radius of the group with a special gift to the atmosphere. DeVanté stands, adjusting his chain around his neck, walking in en route to his right-hand woman. She stands holding a year and a half year old product of the absolute rawest love known to man... at least any man within his knowledge.

"Wassup, man?"

Yelena, DeVanté's assistant, hands him off his son and says, "He's been looking for you since he woke up. He's a little fussy but, everything's cool." DeVanté holds up the life gifted to him, as well as many others, as he wipes drool off the corner of the child's mouth, the same mouth that had transferred the same saliva to his body earlier.

The gift's name? Darius.

Darius Vonell DeGrate, born on a cold, rainy night. One parent born on the ninth, another born on the twenty-ninth. It was only right that he'd be birthed on the nineteenth night of August. Darius carries his father's face and the quirky bodily movements of his mother. Anyone in contact with Darius naturally knows who his parents are. It's the kind of secret you cannot hide. The process of Darius' mother's pregnancy brought on the kind of heartbreak you can't hide and DeVanté never once tried to hide it. With Darius being here, it stings a lot less. Although, DeVanté wonders what kind of obstacles will be present when he begins schooling.

While Darius was in the womb, his parents broke up. DeVanté, absolutely crushed, decided to flee to Los Angeles. His mother decided it was best to continue living in New York to finish a film she was starring in. Eventually, she went on back to her home city, the Windy City. By that point in time, she was already three months pregnant and understood it was time for her to inform DeVanté. The remaining damage of their break up left her resisting to accept his proposal to move to Illinois for the sake of the baby. What it did not stop was the flights that he would take to be by her side every time that she had a doctor's visit or the constant flying back and forth for three months after the baby's birth.