Seven

Olivia's POV:

I hand the tinted glass shard back to Deaton as Scott continued to explain.

"I keep having this feeling like there are pieces missing. Holes in my memory. Like this," Scott gestured to the glass shard from the windshield.  "I took that from a windshield at the Sheriff's impound lot, but I can't remember why I was there."

"Yeah, and there was this weird moment where I could've sworn I heard a guy's voice when I was in the middle of talking to Phoebe." I chime in before I push myself up on the examination table. "But I couldn't recognize who it was from."

"The subconscious can be a conduit for our memories." Deaton answered, glancing between the glass shard and Scott. "Dreams and waking dreams can be powerful tools to help us remember."

"Do you think this is all connected?" Scott worriedly asks. "The Ghost Riders, the Wild Hunt, the holes?"

"The Wild Hunt are drawn to war and mayhem." Deaton says before he shook his head. "I've never heard of it doing anything to anyone's memory. It's almost like you have a form of phantom limb syndrome."

Scott frowns and judging from the confused expression on his face, he didn't have the slightest clue on what the condition is.

"It's where amputees can have the sensation of an itch they can't scratch, or a pain that couldn't possibly be there." I simply explain. "The missing limb is so important so this has the brain to act like the limb is still there."

"So, my subconscious is trying to tell me what's missing?" Scott concluded.

Deaton nodded. "It may be."

"So what, you want us to sleep?" I ask and he nods again. "That sounds the easiest and less-dangerous thing that I'll ever do."

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

"Are you crazy? What the hell is wrong with you?"

I groan at the voice and try to reach for my pillow but instantly feel a pile of leaves which causes my eyes to widen. What the hell?

I lift my head from the ground and frantically look around, realizing that I laid in the middle of the preserve.

"You know what? Get out of the car. I'm driving." I quickly turn to the voice, seeing it came from Allison as she got out of the car with a look of annoyance but my eyes widen at the person who got out of the driver's seat. "I don't know what's wrong with you, but--"

"Do you trust me?" I--well...my past self interrupted Allison as she grabbed ahold of her hand which causes her eyes to widen.

"What? How does this--"

"I said, do you trust me?"

Allison's eyes soften at the question before she squeezes her hand. "Of course I do, but you're scaring me."

"Then follow me." She quickly shuts off the car before she steps out and guides Allison further into the woods.

I scramble to my feet and quickly follow after them from a safe distance so they wouldn't see me.

"Olivia, where are we going? We don't have time for this." Allison groaned in annoyance before my past self abruptly made a left into what I recognized to be Malia's den.

Wait...I remember this.

The sound of someone whimpering causes me to step out from my spot to get a better view as my past self quickly pulls her hand away from Allison's before she quickly ducked inside the den to peek through.