Eighteen

Allison's POV:

"Allison. Scott." A whisper breaks me from my slumber and my eyes slowly blink a few times as I stir awake. "We're here."

I lift my head off of Scott's shoulder in embarrassment, seeing as I fell asleep during the drive and awkwardly scoot away as he adjusts his posture, taking a quick look outside.

"Where are we?" He tiredly rasped.

Malia lets out a huff. "According to the GPS, this is it."

The four of us climb out of the car and the sight of the neighborhood, or well...the town, felt eerie.

Leaves were practically scattered across the lawns of people's houses, the pavements of the sidewalks, leaves crackling at each step we took forward. Abandoned parked cars nearby where we stood had shattered windshields with a couple of rusted bikes leaning against the trees.

Even if I tried to read the shop's names, they were unreadable from the dirt and moss.

We were alone.

"This is it." Lydia spoke up as I adjusted the straps to my purse that contained my crossbow. "Canaan's a ghost town."

The four of us continue to walk through the neighborhood in silence, eyeing each abandoned house we walked past.

Even if it seemed like we wouldn't find anything in this place, there has to be a reason why Stiles and Olivia would send us here.

"I don't hear a single heartbeat." Scott broke the silence.
Malia nods in agreement. "Yeah, I'm not catching any scents."

Scott brushes his hand against mine but the memory from earlier resurfaces, causing me to hesitantly shove my hands in my pockets. "I wonder why Stiles and Olivia would send us here?"

As if on cue, the lampost above our heads began to crackle with electricity before dying out again.

We all paused in our steps, glancing towards one another in hesitation but Lydia takes a step forward. The rest of us follow behind until we reach the torn banner that is barely held from across the street.

"This is the place I saw in the mirror." Lydia muttered from beside me.

My eyes trail over to the carousel and I walk closer to it, noticing the old-fashioned features. It was obvious it used to be painted with bright colors but now, rust-covered the metal poles that held the plastic horse in place with vines wrapping around their necks.

But one horse in particular unpleasantly stuck out. A red liquid, assumingly to be blood, coated its mane and I couldn't help feel my stomach churn in discomfort.

I move to take a step on the ride but instantly the machine whirrs to life, causing my heart to practically leap out of my chest. The sudden sound alone caused me to stumble backward but a pair of hands caught me before I could collapse, quickly realizing it to be Scott along with the others behind him.

The carousel slowly begins to spin once more, the speakers from the machine playing the distorted haunting melody from the ride.

"Are you okay?" He worriedly asks.

I step away from his embrace. "Despite the heart attack," I mumble, glancing back at the houses once more. "I'll be fine."

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

"Come on, Liv. Why would you want us out here?" I whisper under my breath, tightly clutching onto her bracelet as I continued to walk on the sidewalk.

We decided it would be better for us to split up as a way to cover more ground. As much as I hated the idea because who knows if we were actually alone, it's for the best.