Eight

Phoebe's POV:

Corey hands Mason the blank white card he and Liam found using his powers which causes a grin to form on his face. "It's just like in physics! It wasn't there until you saw it--then, it became real."

I snap my fingers in realization. "Just like Schrödinger's Cat! The quantum state of superposition." I exclaim excitedly in which Mason quickly nods. "To see something is to change its very existence. It changed reality."

Corey's eyes widen in confusion before he looks to meet Mason's eyes. "I still don't get it."

"What do you think it is?" Liam questioned.

"It looks like a library card." Corey gestured to the card as Mason hands it to me. "Except it's blank."

Before I could get a better look, Liam instantly snatches the card from my hands and quickly jumps behind the desk. Corey, Mason, and I quickly rush around the desk to join him as he swipes the card through the library's key-card reader.

The computer screen instantly shows the student information, showing a picture of a guy who seemed familiar to me.

"Jake Sullivan?" I read off the screen before I instantly remembered him from the study group.

"He was in the physics lab last night." Mason whispered and I nod in agreement.

"I completely forgot about him." Corey spoke up as his eyes widened slightly.

"Me too." Liam turned away from the computer. "We have Spanish together."

I look down at the card next to the keyboard, seeing that it's not red and black with Jake's photo and information printed on it.

I snatch it from the table and show it to the boys, seeing their eyes widen as well. "They erased him." I state, memories of seeing the Ghost Riders strangling Jake above the balcony, flooding in my head.

"Your hunch was right." Liam spoke up with a small proud smile as he looked over at Corey. "Nice job."

Olivia's POV:

"Now she just magically writes down all the answers?" Malia retorted glancing over to Deaton as Lydia sat down in front of the glass-tinted shard from the windshield presented in front of her.

"It's not quite that simple." Deaton answered with a small smile.

I snort. "It never is."

Allison elbows my side with a subtle glare before she slides Lydia the pen and paper on the table.

"In automatic writing, the hand moves outside of any conscious awareness." Deaton started to explain before he turned to Lydia. "Now, hopefully, the silence, the darkness, and the light will allow you to find a more comfortable, relaxed, trance-like state. Lydia, I want you to stare into the light, and let go of all thought."

Deaton gestures for us to step away and the four of us follow him near the backdoor exit so we wouldn't disturb her thoughts.

"I have to warn you." We turn away from Lydia she slowly beginning to write on the paper and see Deaton's concerned expression. "We may not be able to access these memories."

"Why not?" Allison worriedly asked.

"The legend has always been that the Wild Hunt takes people. But, if what you're telling me is right, the truth is much worse." He emphasized, sending chills to run down my spine. "They erase people from reality."

I cross my arms with discomfort."How do we remember someone who has been completely erased from our minds?"

"Maybe he hasn't been." Malia spoke up, nodding her head towards Lydia. "Look."