Twenty-One

Phoebe's POV:

Light suddenly fills the stone-like cottage room as soon as I pull open the door with Hayden close behind.

"You did it." Hayden says with a grin, admiring the cage in front of Scott, Mason, Corey, and Liam.

"Of course we did it." Mason pants with relief.

Liam walks over to Theo and unlocks the chains around his wrists before they walk over to the transformer in the back of the room.

He moves aside some of the vines covering the switches and pushed the lever, watching as it whirred to life. "This thing can transmute the energy from a lightning bolt. Even successive strikes."

"Mason, are you sure this is gonna work?" Scott worriedly asks.

"Well, whatever's inside this cage is shielded from any outside electrical current." Mason gestured to the cage next to him. "So, the Ghost Rider won't be able to use lightning to escape."

"We put a lightning rod on the roof and connected it to that conduit cable, drawing the Ghost Rider to that spot." Corey chimed in, pointing to the roof and the metal plate nearby where Scott stood.

"We can't send him directly in because the cage neutralizes electromagnetism." I add. "Lightning will just bounce off of it but at the same time, it'll hold him in."

"If the Ghost Rider lands here, how do we get him in the cage?" Scott questioningly asks.

"We have to lure him in." Corey replies.

Scott raises a brow. "Bait?"

"Me." Liam lifts his hand. "I can be the bait."

"No, it has to be me." Hayden cuts in with her expression filled with determination. "I'm faster than you."

My eyes widen. "Wait, what? Hayden--" I cut myself off, taking in Hayden's expression. I needed to trust her. "Nevermind."

"As soon as Hayden's out, Scott and Liam," Mason quickly walks over to the gate and demonstrates closing them shut. "you guys close the gates. And then Phoebe will put down a barrier of Mountain Ash." He says, gesturing to the two jars on the table.

"I'll be on the roof to take down the rod." Corey adds. "Mason and I will be on the lookout for any other Ghost Riders."

"What do you guys think?" Liam nervously speaks up, glancing between Scott and I.

The corners of Scott's mouth shift into a smile. "I think it's the best idea that we have right now."

"As long as everything goes perfectly and he doesn't escape and kill us all." Theo sarcastically smiles.

"And you transformer works and the whole place doesn't catch on fire." Hayden remarks.

"And there isn't a catastrophic solar flare." Mason mutters under his breath.

A moment of silence passes over before I clap my hands together with a nod. "Let's do it." I firmly state. "For Stiles and Olivia."

"Right." Mason quickly walks over to the device and turns the dials on its max setting.

The cage crackles electricity across the metal cage which causes me to smile, along with the sounds of thunder rumbling outside.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

The rest of us discreetly watch as Hayden awkwardly stands in the middle of the room, waiting for the Ghost Rider to arrive.

Suddenly, the lighting strikes directly on the metal plate in which causes the Ghost Rider to appear.