Twenty-Five

Olivia's POV:

"We can't just hide." Malia whispered as Scott barely peeked around the corner for hunters since the four of us hid in the nearby stairwell. "Peter's not going to last like that."

"Well, neither will we if that thing finds us, too." Derek pointed out.

A wave of nausea hits me, leaving me to tiredly rub the sides of my head. "Anyone else think that the school cranked up the heating system?" I whisper, using the collar of my shirt to fan myself to cool off. "I'm not feeling so good."

Malia's brows furrow in confusion as her eyes looked up and down at me. "How is the heat bothering you? You're literally a Phoenix."

I quickly shake my head but I accidentally lean a bit further into Derek which causes him to grab my arm to hold me up for support. "This feels different." I mutter.

"It's the Anuk-ite. Your fear pheromones are unstable." Derek explained until his eyes slightly widened. "The effects are hitting harder for you compared to us. We need to get you into a classroom to cool you off."

Scott quickly shakes his head. "We've got to wait for Stiles.

Malia huffed in annoyance. "I'm not waiting here." She muttered before she runs down the steps into the entrance hall which causes Derek to roll his eyes with a glare.

We quickly follow after her but Scott jumps down the steps to catch up to her to grab her by the wrist, making her stop in place. "Whoa, hey, Malia, hold on."

Scott slowly turns around and I copy his action which causes my heart to sink at the sight of Monroe standing at the other end of the hall, holding a black handgun at us.

Oh shit.

Before either one of us can react, she shoots and immediately the bullet hits Scott with enough force to fall backward onto the floor.

I lift my hands, conjuring the swirl of flames to create a shockwave but another bullet whizzes through the school hallway and onto my torso, leaving me to collapse into Malia's arms as I shakily clutch onto the wound to stop the bleeding.

"No, no, no." Malia frantically whispered as I felt her try to sit me up but I wave my hand dismissively, ignoring the agonizing pain spreading through my body as I watched Derek escort Scott inside one of the nearby science classrooms.

"Don't let her get away!" I grunted but I felt my back press against the lockers, feeling my eyes flicker back and forth to orange and brown. "Go, Mal! I-I'll be fine!"

Malia nodded before sprinting after Monroe with her claws extended as the sound of her growls echoed in the halls.

"Child, you need to slow your heart rate!" I hear Ophelia's warning echo along with the whispers clouding my hearing as I tiredly try to blink a few times to stay awake. "You will slaughter millions if you release the chaos within you!"

Phoebe's POV:

"They still out there?" Theo questioned, noticing Liam's concentrated look to the elevator doors since the gunfire ceased and he nods in response. "Look, I'm not dying for either of you."

"We're not dying for you, either." Liam countered in a serious tone until he placed the gun in my hand with a nod. "But I will fight with you."

Theo raises a brow in suspicion as he looked towards my direction but remembering Allison and her father's training, I carefully take the safety off of the weapon and firmly hold on to it. "If we survive this, maybe we can talk about starting over." I add.