Two

Phoebe's POV:

As soon as school was over, Mason, Liam, and I didn't hesitate to make a trip to the underground tunnels since there was no other option of where the rats could have come from.

"You know, what happened in the class isn't as irrational as you think." I spoke up and flicked on the switch for my flashlight to light up the path that had patches of slime. "There's an evolutionary advantage of having natural fears of bugs, spiders, snakes, and rats."

Liam's expression churns into disgust as he lifted his foot off of the slimy patch. "How do you know they came from here?"

"Well, they came crawling through the vents," Mason explained, shining his flashlight on the pipes above us. "and those pipes lead directly down here."

We stop as soon as we reached an intersection in the tunnels, but my eyes widen in horror at the large pile of tangled-up and bloody dead rats in the corner of the room.

"W-What's that?" Liam whispered.

Mason took a step closer to the pile in curiosity. "It's a rat king."

Olivia's POV:

I place the box of weapons on top of the metal cart before wheeling it close to my mom. "Allison wanted me to tell you that she wants you to have her spare knives just in case." I explain with an assuring smile. "And after doing some research, it turns out Phoenix blood can help heal some wounds so I left behind two pints each for you, Phoebe, and Dad."

"Liv--"

"And!" I cut in, taking out the large taser-wand from the box and placing it on the tray. "A spare stun baton from Argent."

"Isn't this a bit much? I mean, I could always call Liam or Phoebe." She hesitantly asks, taking the taser from the tray. She presses down on the button and instantly blue electrical currents flicker along the outside of it which causes her to flinch back. "Oh!"

I raise a brow. "It doesn't hurt to be extra careful, you know. Scott is giving Melissa one too."

She chuckles, placing the weapon back inside the box. "Did she also tell you that she gave me some supplies as well?"

Before I could ask, she walks over to the nearby desk and pulls open the drawer, revealing over a dozen jars filled with various herbs and plants, a large syringe gun, tweezers, and other medical tools.

"Oh...Melissa gave you that?"

She nods with a proud smile. "She taught me how to make some medicines to heal supernatural induced injuries. If something does happen, and people get hurt, then we got it covered."

"Well then...maybe I should add another pint of blood just in case you run out--"

"Olivia," My mom laughed, grabbing onto my hands with a smile. "stop worrying. You have orientation next month but you and Allison still have to settle in at your apartment. What you should be worrying about is scheduling your classes."

I take a seat on the stool behind me. "I know but...it's going to feel weird not seeing you, Phoebe, Dad, and everyone else every day."

She closes the drawer back into place before turning to face me, placing her hands on my shoulders. "Do you remember what I told you as soon as we moved here?"

I exhale through my nose, remembering her words clearly. "Things are going to change and I can't rely on you all the time. I have to...grow up."

She nods. "And Olivia, you have grown up to be the best daughter I could ever ask for. After everything that was thrown against our family, you never gave up and I'm so so proud of what you've accomplished." She grabs onto my hands to pull me to stand on my feet and wrapped her arms around me, embracing me into a tight hug. "I can't wait to watch my baby grow up to become an incredible nurse."