Thirteen

Allison's POV:

"Nathan!" My father yells out as the three of us try to sprint as fast as we could since we saw him continue to climb up the ladder. "Nathan!"

"We can keep you safe!" Malia angrily calls out with annoyance.

"You're going to screw everyone else if you leave!" I scold.

"Bull. I'm out of here." Nathan scoffs before he pushes open the sewer cover and peeks his head over.

In a matter of seconds, he's instantly yanked out from the ladder and disappears into the puff of green smoke.

The figure suddenly drops down to the floor and my eyes widen, seeing as the Ghost Rider looked up to meet his blackened eyes.

"Oh god."

My dad quickly aims his gun towards him but two more of the Ghost Riders drop down from the ladder as well and I extend my crossbow as Malia's eyes glowed a bright blue.

Phoebe's POV:

"You shouldn't have tackled the Ghost Rider like that." I scold as Mason and Corey help Liam walk to the locker rooms. "They could've seriously hurt you."

"You would've ended up just like the others." Liam grunted.

"I can't believe they're gone." Hayden sighed.

Corey offers a small smile. "Let's just hope the people in the bunker survived."

Once we turn the corner, Scott barely moves his phone away from his ear before he turned to us. "Everyone on the bunker has been taken."

The four of us slowly turn to Corey who awkwardly looks down at his fingers. "Or not."

"How?" Mason asked but Liam let out a scoff.

"It doesn't matter how."

"Malia is at the hospital. Allison's recovering from a concussion but her dad's been seriously hurt. My mom and Elizabeth are with them." Scott explained and my eyes widened.

"Oh god." I whisper under my breath and feel Hayden interlace my hand with hers. "Can I go with you to see her?"

He quickly shakes his head. "I would but I don't have my spare helmet with me."

"I'll drive you." Hayden assured me and I smile gratefully.

"Scott," Liam spoke, unwrapping his arms from Corey and Mason. "Tonight--"

"No--Hey, it's not your fault." Scott sternly assured. "It's mine. We should have done both. Defend the bunker and use a lightning rod. It would have given us a better chance."

He turns away and continues to walk down towards the exit and shut the door behind him.

"You okay?" Mason worriedly asked and I turn, taking notice of Liam's saddened expression.

He slowly shook his head. "No." He muttered before he pushed open the locker room door, being instantly met with Coach Finstock and the rest of the lacrosse team.

"There he is. Look at that!" Coach gestured to Liam as he and Corey walked inside the room while Mason, Hayden, and I stood outside. "The humility. The grace. Sure, that wasn't lacrosse we played out there tonight. That was la-crap!" He raised his voice towards the team before he patted Liam's back. "But you...you stayed on the field while the rest of these losers ran inside."

"Coach, we lost." Liam whispered, briefly looking back at us. "We lost everything."

"Listen to the despair! The rage simmering underneath it! See that, people? He still thinks he can win. That's why next time, he will win. Because he will find a way. Now, show your new captain some love, you pukes!" He emphasized which causes my eyes to slightly widen. Some of the guys slowly clap for him until Coach shook his head with disbelief. "I said, 'Show him some love!'" He angrily scolded and the lacrosse players clap louder than before.