.𝟏 - 𝐥𝐮𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(lurking shadows)

𝐓he sun had long set above the city residing in New York, ridding it of any protection against the heavy darkness blanketed over them. The light constantly fought to keep it at bay, but such action required far more strength than the natural order of things demanded. With the sun's departure, the demons were finally free to roam the streets and no pathetic wooden cross would keep them at bay. But Nyx was never one to fear the darkness for she always saw better within it. So now as she walked through the damp streets of the city, she dared any monster lurking within the shadows to even try and look her way. For they would find she was her own monster, one far more dangerous than anything they could have ever imagined.

A blend of car exhaust and petrichor filled her lungs with each breath she took. It was a stench she had grown accustomed to throughout her time working as an agent of the Commission. Nearly all of her deployments were amongst cities. The streets were void of people at the late hour, their absence creating a heavy silence that weighed through the night. Apart from the buzz of electricity and tiny splashes with each step Nyx and her men took on the wet pavement below, there wasn't a single noise.

"Are we closing in on the target?" One of the four gunmen accompanying Nyx on her mission inquired for the third time in the past twelve minutes.

With irritation heavy, Nyx's steps quickly halted. The action caused the group of men to go into a panic as they too slowed to a stop. She could practically feel their hearts' rapid beats. Louder and louder as she approached the man who dared to speak. "If you ask me that question one more time it'll be your head I bring back to the Commission," She seethed in a low warning, her eyes narrowed into a deadly glare. "Understand?" 

The man visually gulped with a quick nod of his head. His voice came out in a small squeak, "Yes, mam."

"Good." She eyed him in disgust for a moment more before slowly turning back around. Her brown eyes drifted down to the device within her hand that read the current position of their target; Five Hargreeves.

When first opening the file, she had been conflicted to see his name in bold writing. Part of her wanted to succumb to the heavy weight of her wounds and pass the job onto another. But the other part of her, the winning part, wanted revenge for what he had done to her. She wanted him to suffer the way she has and the way she will continue to still. She had thrown away her entire life for him and in return, he gifts her with bloodshed. But not this time. This time she wouldn't hold back. This time she would see to it that her mission was never left unended.

A small smirk tugged at the corners of her lips in anticipation as she looked up from the device to see the green dot placed inside the doughnut shop before her. "Weapons ready boys." She ordered as she pulled the dark hood of her shawl over her curled locks and lifted her mask from its place around her neck to cover up over her nose. "We've found him."