.𝟑𝟔 - 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(one last night)

𝐍ikolai found himself shrouded in a severely heavy loss. Not only had he lost his grip on Nyx but he had informed the Handler of her capture the night he had taken her. She was expecting his return. But he was empty-handed and he knew better than to show his face with nothing. He had thought to have bought himself another day in the least by stating Nyx was still unwell enough to return. The Handler did want Nyx conscious and alert after all. But only time could tell when her patience would finally run thin. He should have never let Nyx slip from his grasp so easily. If he had been smart he would have shackled her and taken her back to the Commission the second he captured her. But he was foolish in his selfish desire for more. He knew that he shouldn't have but he was so overcome by the possibility of seeing her again that he couldn't turn away.

Surely the Handler would have his head for this. She brought him back from the dead and in return, he would need to pay her price for it. She would be expecting him. There would be no telling what awaited him now. With the realization that he wasn't going to show his face, she would come and collect her own payment. Failure had never been an option for them growing up but now it was a death sentence. 

The loud bang of his apartment door slamming into the wall caused Niko's hand to subconsciously fly to his neck. His fingers rubbed tenderly against his skin and his heart raced wildly within his chest as he slowly craned his head to meet his fate. But it wasn't the Handler's silvery hair nor her grim glare that he was met with. It was the stern brown eyes of his sister. A breath Niko didn't know he was holding escaped past his lips as Sersi entered into his apartment. Her nostrils flared in anger and heavy breaths blew in and out of her lungs. Her eyebrows were pinched together and her lips in a tight line as she advanced toward him. 

Niko couldn't help but flinch as he took a small step back, his hand dropping back to his side. "What have you done?" She raged as her hand reached up to grab hold of his cheeks, pinching his skin tightly as she poked a finger on her other hand into his chest. "You imbicle! You let her go."

His own brows began to furrow together in anger as he firmly denied her accusation. "I didn't."

"Do you not understand?" She questioned, her voice demanding an answer out of him. When Niko didn't respond right away she demanded again, "Do you not understand what's at stake?!"

Niko fought to get free of her grip but she merely tightened the pinch to his cheeks, her nostrils flaring even further as her fierce eyes bore into his own. "Sersi, I didn't-"