.𝟏𝟎 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐛𝐭

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the toll of debt)

𝐑en liked to think that he was the mastermind of their little family. He lived in the illusion that he alone could have the world on its knees. Perfecting the role of the bad guy was his specialty. There were no mishaps or mistakes in his work. Everything he did was done for a reason and every slip-up was part of the plan. But what he would fail to realize in his arrogance was that he wasn't any of that. He didn't have the hidden tricks up his sleeve or design the reality they survived in. That was Theo. Theo was the true mastermind of their family. He lived quietly among the shadows of his siblings and only now started to emerge into the light. He played along in Ren's game and allowed himself subject to their rule. But what they didn't know was that in a world of wolves, Theo was a snake, and they had fit perfectly into his game.

Unlike Ren, Theo was most unsurprised when they had gotten a letter from Number Five saying that he had acquired the briefcase they realized to be missing. He wasn't exactly sure how he had acquired it or when, but if he had to guess, Nyx had a role in it. Ren however felt betrayed by all the new information he had received from Theo. Without a doubt in his mind, he knew that Nyx had found out Five wasn't the one to kill her and that she was tagging along with him. Today she could abandon the Commission once again and mark herself a free agent not bound to any strings. The uncertainty left her unpredictable. She could play either side and nobody would know for certain until she strikes her move. It made her dangerous. For the sake of their family, Ren only prayed she chose their own.

Nyx had been given clear instructions by Five prior to their departure from his home. She wasn't to look or talk to Hazel, Cha-Cha, or her brothers. She was meant to be a showpiece to further the opposition's surrender after declaring against Five's wishes for her to stay in the car. Yes, her injuries from the previous nights pertained but even injured she would defy the devil himself if she so pleased. She'd been bossed around enough in her lifetime to know she was sick of being shackled to others' desires. Besides, nobody would be laying a finger on her. Her power was much too strong to allow such a thing.

"You know, I never enjoyed it," Five spoke quietly, breaking the silence that had fallen over the car since their arrival at the meeting place. A confused look took to Luther's face as he turned his head from analyzing the road ahead to look at his brother. "What?" He asked.

"The killing," Five clarified. "I mean, I-I was good at my work and took pride in it. But it was all those years alone. After Nyx, I had no one." He shook his head, a humorless chuckle emitting from him. "Solitude can do funny things to the mind." Nyx frowned from her spot in the backseat but made no move to comfort him for she had never been good at that. She was trained to maim and kill, not to comfort. She couldn't even pick out a moment in her life where she would have seen an example of such a thing. The softness of consolation was a gift she nor her brothers had ever received. They had tried their best to comfort one another in their youth, her brothers and the others. But how can you truly comfort someone if you never learned how?