.𝟐𝟓 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐝𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐬

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the firing on dallas)

𝐈f someone were to have told Nyx a day ago that she'd regret everything she'd spent the last ten days preparing for, she would have laughed in their face. In her eyes, it would have been viewed as a manipulation tactic to get her to bend to another's will. That was something she blamed the Handler for. Her entire life was spent as a subject to others' expectations. She was to be ruthless and chew off the hand that harmed her. Sitting down and talking things out was never something she'd learned, it was always 'take what you want' and 'outdo the one to knock you down'. The person she had been forced to call Mum manipulated her in many different forms, most of which she still wouldn't truly see coming. Nyx always managed to fall into her traps. It was a never-ending cycle, a wheel that rotated around her at such speed she could never find the proper spot to shatter it. She had assumed she'd break free when she took charge of her own life and decided to gain her revenge. But the noose only tightened around her neck and her blessing was nothing but a wretched curse. Just as Five now was, Nyx was right back where she started; Broken, vulnerable, and a ready subject to anyone's rule. 

The final chapter was not meant to end this way. 

She was meant to be with Ren on their way to enact the rest of their plan. The Commission was to fall and their pain was to be healed. Their lives were meant to be reclaimed and the years spent locked away were meant to be for something. They were supposed to avenge their past selves, the ones too young to fully understand their torture and too scared to fight back. Her strength wasn't meant to be deteriorated nor the space beside her bare. Her shattered heart was meant to be filled to the brim with triumph not agony. But alas none of her dreams were attainable in her current reality and any progress she had made vanished in time. 

She and Five were not where they were supposed to be. Their surroundings were drastically different from what they'd grown accustomed to in 2019. Everything seemed much brighter in this new world. The dark color scheme and foul smell had all but disappeared and transformed into a ball of bright hues and warmth. Even the bright attire of those passing by reflected a much happier mood than the common grays and blacks she was used to. However such brightness did little to reflect the personalities of said pedestrians. 

Every single person walking around the three made sure to look their way. Of course, their sudden arrival not to mention the contrast of their attire would be enough to raise some speculation or questioning looks but Nyx didn't quite understand what it was about her that managed to draw in more scowls and stares than those given to Five and Hazel combined. Five seemed to take notice of the negative attention focused on Nyx and her discomfort and stepped closer to her, the action blocking her from the view of an oncoming couple. "Okay." He dragged out the word as he looked from their newfound surroundings to Hazel. "What the hell was that?" He asked, his shock at what they'd just witnessed still running wild.