.𝟐𝟗 - 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(sersi)

𝐖hen twisting reality beneath their fingertips, the harsh fates never truly intended for the weak to walk among the Earth. Or at least it appeared that way when the only people you grew up around were trained assassins. Each life was a trial used to better reconstruct the next and each power was a skill placed beneath the Handler's thumb. Weaknesses are drawn out one by one and as such, the wounds are left bleeding for all to see. When your life depends on your ability to fight, adaption is key to survival. Without it, one is nothing but a corpse in waiting. It never matters how hard one fights to stay alive or what they accomplish while doing so, the fates will have their way no matter how alluring escape appears. It is all a lie constructed to gift false hope. Safety and comfort are nothing but lies. Pain and suffering are every day. 

Sersi knew this all too well. 

Her life was never bright by any means. She, like Nyx, couldn't ever recall the comfort of a mother's touch or how it felt to be unyieldingly loved. Her childhood was like all others the Handler collected. She and her brother were taken from their parents when they were young. So strategically young that she wouldn't ever remember anything of her past life. No images of her mother or father, no longing memory of being held, and no love whatsoever. But most importantly, nothing to hold onto or go back for. The Handler had perfected the age gap, her only fluke ever being Ren. Sersi doubted the existence of her parents but at least she could still have hope of reuniting with them. 

Nyx would never have that. 

The night of May 22, 1966, was a gruesome and bloody one. It marked the day that Nyx and Theo turned two, Ren being nearly six at the time. The Handler had set out to acquire her target the same as she did the other houses before, though this time, she didn't come alone. Prior to entering the home, she never intended to take Ren. Nyx had been her target that night just as she was the target of many. In her desperation to have her, the Handler stopped at nothing to get her. Nyx's father was the first to go down. He had been so excited to be a father, his eyes lighting up each time he saw his twins and his chest swelling in pride toward his stepson Ren. He was shot the second he opened the door, barely even getting out the word "hello". But it was their mother that fought tooth and nail for them. Her death had been agonizingly slow. She had tried to save them all, even yelling for Ren to get out when her legs couldn't support her anymore. The Handler wore her blood like a trophy when she finally made it into Nyx's and Theo's shared bedroom. Ren had been huddled with each of his siblings in his arms, hands shoved forcefully over both their mouths to silence their cries as they hid beneath the crib.