.𝟐𝟏 - 𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(ethereal)

𝐅ive Hargreeves didn't know what to do with his life anymore. He had spent so long away from his family, away from Nyx; Decades of solitude that had broken him beyond compare, fracturing his mind into pieces he barely even held on to. The only drive that controlled his mind was the apocalypse. He obsessed over it, devoting his entire life to calculating when and how to stop it. So what if Klaus was right and he was in fact addicted to it? Maybe he let it consume him entirely, and maybe he was helplessly falling deeper into its arms every waking moment of his life. Who cares if he looked like a madman running around trying to halt its roaring waves? He had his reasons.

If this apocalypse were the Titanic, Five Hargreeves would be the iceberg. This godforsaken cataclysm had taken everything from him. His youth, his mind, his world, the fragments left of his innocence, his family, Nyx. So yes, maybe he was paranoid that this ending wasn't the one he desired.

He had spent years imagining what it would be like to finally end it and this ending was never one in his books. He barely lifted a finger and didn't even break into a sweat. It wasn't a satisfying end to the tyranny. A tyrant as furious and wild as the apocalypse shouldn't have been put down so easily. Not without his hand in it and most certainly not with the Commission protecting its existence. It was too easy. But still, the possibility that Klaus was indeed right remained. Maybe the apocalypse truly was finished and Five just couldn't will himself to believe it because it wasn't the ending he wanted. 

His mind fought with itself over the idea as he nursed the margarita within his hand. Delores sat before him, watching him pitifully with her own drink in hand. She was the one thing that could comfort him through the horrors of reality. Singlehandedly, Delores held his mind together, keeping him sane in a world that demanded insanity. She motivated him to keep going, to find a reason to live. She may not have brown skin and no paint he ever applied could ever reflect the golden specks within Nyx's dark eyes, but in a world full of nothing, his mind latched onto her and she became his everything. 

"Well, do you think we really did it?" He asked her as he fixed the placement of her drink on the countertop to better fit in her open hand. She would know the answer to such a thing. She always did. Five could trust her better than he could anyone else, even if he failed to realize she was right on some of his endeavors (the most prominent being his calculations for jumping back in time). "Do you think we actually stopped the apocalypse?"

"No."

Five nearly jumped in his seat at the response. He hadn't actually expected anything but the voice he had given her in his head to respond. His eyes widened as he quickly turned his head around to find Nyx approaching him. A sigh of relief left his lips as he watched her assume the empty space beside him. An unimpressed look dawned across her features as she eyed the doll resting on the counter before him. But Five didn't take notice of the sideways glance. He was much too focused on the puffiness of her cheeks and the slight redness that had taken to her eyes. His heart nearly dropped at the realization that she had been crying but before he could ask her what was wrong his attention was diverted to other things. She pursed her lips as she snatched the spare margarita off the counter and placed the straw to her lips. Five blinked at her for a moment trying to figure out where she had come from before giving up and shaking his head. He opened his mouth to protest her taking Delores' drink but she beat him to speaking. "That ugly thing looks nothing like me," She said as she looked at the mannequin in disgust.