.𝟑𝟖 - 𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐲𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐲𝐞

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(an eye for an eye)

𝐍iko should have known better than to not expect a visitor awaiting him when he arrived back at his apartment late that night. Nothing was out of place to signal that anyone had even entered but the singular light above the kitchen table gave an ominous glow as he entered to find the Handler sitting down at the table. Her leg was crossed over the other and a steaming cup of coffee rested within in both her hands. Her pointed gaze stared dangerously into him as he cautiously closed the door behind him. Her lips set in a firm line and it took all he had to control his fear enough to suppress it. Still, though, he was concerned she'd be able to hear his heartbeat with how loud it was breathing. 

"Hello, Nikolai," She greeted as her lips spread into a wide emotionless grin.  He was careful in his steps as he approached her, his eyes subconsciously drifting to the darkness around them for signs of anyone else. But he knew nobody was here, nobody human at least. The only heart he could feel was hers. "I was wondering when you'd return."

Niko hung his head as he sat down in the chair across from her, his hands moving to rest in his lap. "I lost her," He quietly admitted, fearing the choice of words as they left his lips. If he said anything to her disliking, he was dead. 

The Handler leaned closer to the table as she pushed the coffee mug aside so she could fold her hands together. "I'm aware." She firmly stated, her face returning to its previous stone-cold features. Niko winced, expecting to be followed up with some kind of punishment. But no words or actions ever came, causing his eyes to spare a glance at her. "Luckily for you, I know just how slippery Nyx can be." His eyes widened at her words. Shock encompassed his heart as he rose his head. "I will let this one slip up slide. But make no mistake, this will be the only time." Her tone dropped causing a chill to run down Niko's spine. "There will be no more mistakes from you. Or your sister."

Niko fought the urge to widen his eyes once again, instead forcing confusion on his features. But she already knew. Five had hinted that Niko wasn't the only one who had beaten Nyx, he mentioned another. The only person in this world who would ever aid Niko on a mission like this was his sister. "Sersi?" He asked, confusion lacing his tone as her name rolled off his tongue. The lifting of the Handler's brow solidified he had fallen into her trap. "I don't know what you..."

The Handler held up her hand, silencing him. "I know she was here." She firmly stated as she pushed up from the chair and slowly stalked toward him. "A little birdy told me there was another aiding in your hunt for Nyx. Did the both of you think I wouldn't find out?"