.𝟑𝟏 - 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(king of hearts)

𝐅ive Hargreeves was at a crossroads. He had two choices, two very important choices. He could either A; run around searching for Nyx, praying she was still alive. Or B; continue searching for clues on how to stop the world's impending doom and save his family. Neither was an easy choice but only one of them was the right one. Only one of them had a clear fate. Taking away Nyx had to be a ploy of the Commission's design to get him back into their hands and stop him. She couldn't do it herself when she had the chance so now they resort to their last option, taking her away so that he runs to save her. That was if she was even still alive. There was no proof of her existence. No photo, no call, no appearance from the Handler with an ultimatum. For all he knew, he'd be chasing after a corpse. So despite the pain it caused his heart, he picked the only viable option. 

"We have to start small." Diego proposed, holding the icepack to the back of his head in hopes of stopping the throbbing pain from when he had smacked his head. "Check surveillance cameras, traffic light cameras." Five ran his hand harshly through his hair with his eyes trained on the projected image of their father before them. "She's got to be around here somewhere. They couldn't have gotten far." 

"No."

"No?" Shock laced Diego's features as he looked down at his brother. "Did you really just say no?" He had hoped that he had heard wrong, that his mind had come up with the answer on its own. He couldn't seriously let Nyx go like that. There was no way he was going to just let that guy take her. But Five kept his mouth shut, lips pressed together in a line as though it were too painful for him to say again. That was answer enough for Diego. "Five, this is Nyx we're talking about."

"I know." Five struggled to keep his anger at bay as he spoke. He didn't like this situation any more than anyone else and being constantly reminded of the stakes of his decision didn't do anything to ease his fracturing heart. "But the world is ending and we're running out of time."

Diego couldn't believe it. There was no way his brother was choosing to leave Nyx to fend for herself after witnessing the state she had been in. "You can't be serious." But once more Five said nothing. 

"Nyx is strong. She'll be fine." Five said though he wasn't sure whether or not he was trying to convince Diego or himself. 

"She is not fine," Diego argued, anger and worry beginning to sweep through the shock in his voice. "Did you and I not see the same thing? Those two had beaten her to a pulp." 

"You think this is easy for me, Diego?!" Five asked, uncontrollable rage beginning to swell in his chest. "I watched her die right before my eyes once already. I lived with that alone for forty-four years." He paused before his voice could break. Tears threatened to form in his eyes but he blinked them away as he swallowed down the lump forming in his throat. "We are running out of time. The apocalypse is coming and if it hits, well, we wouldn't be able to save her anyway."