Spencer

Today absolutely fucking sucks.

Not only did I wake up late for school, but I almost got into a car crash trying to speed my way there. Just to top everything off that has already happened, I just bombed my algebra test. With my luck, of course, there was going to be a test in my worst possible subject. It was a guarantee for me to fail it. 

I didn't even know that there was a test today in that class so I didn't study for it in any way, but with my luck today, of course, there was. So there is another bad grade in the grade book for me.

Just lovely.

Note the sarcasm.

I should probably introduce myself if I'm going to be complaining about all of my problems, shouldn't I? That would be the right thing to do, right? 

I don't even know how to even start with something like this. I don't put myself out there at all, so there is no need for me to know how to do this, right? Well, I guess I should start with my name, right? That's where this all starts?

I'm Spencer, as you already know. I'm a 16-year-old junior in high school at the moment who is really bad at all of her classes. Every last one. Even down to my art class. 

I guess I could tell you about my family. Would you even want to know about them? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I have both of my parents, tragically.

Maybe I shouldn't be saying that I wish I only had one parent. Once you know how my family is, you'll understand fully why I don't want both of them around. Well, my mom at least. 

I have a younger sister named Peyton. She is 7 years old. We have nothing in common which makes sense because I'm almost 10 years older than her. I absolutely adore her though, despite our major age difference.

Growing up, I was an only child, or at least until Peyton came along when I was 9. I never had anyone to play with because I didn't exactly know how to make friends. I was just never the social type and am still like this. I was that child that would sit by herself and play with all of the toys with nobody around me. That was until I met my two best friends, but I'll get back to them later on.

Anyway, as I was growing up, I never really spent any time with my parents. They were always out of town while I stayed with some of my extended family or most of the time, alone. 

I would stay with my grandparents for weeks on end without hearing anything from my parents. I guess it never really affected me all that much. Staying without my parents for those long periods of time really prepared me for when I would get older.

When I was around 10 or 11, my parents felt like I was old enough to be able to stay home by myself while they went thousands of miles away. When they had to go away for work, they would leave me home with a cell phone and some money. They told me if I had gotten hungry to find something in the fridge or pantry or just order some pizza. I was 10!

I guess they didn't leave me completely alone for weeks. They had my grandparents come and check up on me every couple of days to make sure I wasn't dead or anything. I shouldn't even be defending them in the slightest. They were bad parents to me. Well, they still are.

Maybe except for my father. He was and still is trying to be the best parent he can be to me. He realized that he should try to be a better parent to me. He said I at least needed a parent that cared and tried with me. And that sure wasn't going to be my mother.

But then my parents had Peyton when I was 9.

They cared for her so much. They still do.

Every time they would leave me alone while they went away for work, they took her with them. They took Peyton with them because she was just a baby. If they could take her along, why couldn't they take me?

That's what I didn't fully understand and still really don't.

So those are the reasons why I'm not really close with my family and hate talking about them. Except for Peyton and occasionally my father.

I have always been close to her. At least as close as you can be to your sibling that is way younger than you and has great relationships with both of your parents.

Now that I think about it, maybe that's why I haven't always been that great in school. I always missed so much school when I was younger because my parents had always seemed to be away all the time. The only times I would go to school was when my parents took me or if some of my other relatives came by our house to pick me up and actually bring me.

I don't know how I made it to high school. Or at least have been able to not completely flunk out honestly. I do know how I got to keep progressing.

My parents.

They have been in my elementary and middle school principals' offices almost every year towards the end. They would get told the same thing. 'Your child has missed way too much school this year. She's going to need to stay back a grade or do summer school. That is up to you two.'

But do you want to know what they chose instead of holding me back a grade or sending me to summer school? They bribed the school.

Yes, really. They bribed the school with their money. They wanted to make sure I kept progressing in school and never had to repeat a grade.

Which I guess didn't really matter to them. They had the money, still do.

My parents aren't exactly poor or in the middle class. Okay, yes, they were rich. My family was rich. I hate even mentioning it to anyone.

Anytime I've even mentioned it to anyone or they somehow find out that my family has money, they treat me differently. They ask if they can borrow any kind of money or if they could become my friend and end up using me for it. I've always hated it.

Especially since I transferred to my new school.

I was the new kid freshman year at my new school. Nobody knew that my family was rich up until the middle of my freshman year. I don't exactly know how they found out about my parents having money, but they did. Students instantly began treating me differently because of this. They started to refer to me as the "rich girl"

I can't really do anything about that though, so I deal with it.

What am I gonna do to make them stop calling me that? I can't go to the school counselor and ask her to do anything. I can't ask the students to stop because they will just continue with the name-calling. That just sums up how school is for me every single day.

What made it better was my two best friends.

When I first met them, I thought they were also going to use me like I had been used to in the past, but they didn't and don't.

I met them towards the middle of freshman year before anyone found out I was the "rich girl." Them as in Aspyn and Brynley.

Aspyn and Brynley were already friends before I came into the picture. From what I remember, they had been friends since about 5th grade. When I transferred to this new school freshman year, the three of us would talk here and there, but then they ended up talking to me every day and sitting with me at lunch. I guess that was when we all became best friends.

Almost every weekend since we became best friends, we'll be over at one another's house. We'll have sleepovers and spend the weekends talking about everything. I was finally around some great people in my life. I am really thankful that I had met them when I did. They have truly saved me from going down the dark hole in my mind.

I should probably stop ranting about my life and everything surrounding me and get back to doing my school work so I don't completely fail and have my parents bribe the school again, shouldn't I?

***

How did you enjoy the first chapter? 

I don't know how often I'll get to post this. There will be at least one chapter a week until I can figure out how to manage writing this and everything going on in my life.