3

Spencer

"I need you to decide on what outfit to wear tonight," I said to Aspyn as I walked into my closet.

We had just gotten back to my house from school. I ended up having to drop off Dylan at his house which made Aspyn and I end up getting home later than we usually did.

"What kind of style are you going for?" she asked as she began sifting through all of my clothes.

"You can choose, but keep in mind that it's a bit chilly out," I said as I left her in the closet alone to find something for me.

I trusted her with what I should wear. She has always had good style ever since I met her a couple of years ago. I knew that she would pick out something that I would like. Well, I would obviously like it because the clothes she was choosing from were in my closet.

"I say we both just wear sweatpants and a hoodie and call it good," she suggested.

"You're sure about that?" I asked.

"The school has seen us like this before, how is it any different if we wear sweats and a hoodie to a football game?" 

"Okay, yeah. You're right," I nodded. "I'm guessing you're going to be stealing some of my clothes then?" 

"I only brought pajamas for tonight, so yeah," she said. "I hope you don't mind," 

"You know I don't care," I said heading towards my bedroom door. "Do you want anything to snack on while we get ready?" 

"Popcorn please," she answered with a smile on her face.

I left my room and headed up the basement stairs that lead right into the kitchen. I opened up the pantry and grabbed some popcorn and some other random snacks that I had found. 

I shut the pantry door and turned around to head back down to my room. I stopped in my tracks when I saw my mom was now in the kitchen. 

"I haven't spoken to you in a couple of days," she stated. 

"You know where I always am," I shot back. "I'm going to the football game tonight with Aspyn so don't wait up for me," I said before I left the kitchen and away from this awkward encounter. 

It's offsetting to me that my mother is like this. She won't speak to me for a few days and then she'll finally say something. She will expect me to forget about the fact that we haven't spoken in days. She really wasn't meant to be a parent. I learned that at such a young age. No child should have to learn that about their own parent at any age.

"I'm back!" I announced to Aspyn as I re-entered my room. "Who are you on the phone with?" I asked when I realized that she was talking to someone.

"Brynley," she stated.

"Hey, Bryn!" I yelled out.

"Hi, Spence," Brynley replied.

Since the day I became really good friends with Aspyn and Brynley, we have come up with some kind of nickname for each other. Over time, I have become Spence, Brynley has become Bryn, and Aspyn is just Aspyn or on rare occasions, Spyn. 

"Are you coming to the football game tonight with Aspyn and me?" I asked her as I set down the snacks I had just gotten.

"No, I'm staying home tonight," she answered. "I have a lot of homework to do," 

"I wish you were coming with us," Aspyn said to Brynley.

"I wanted to, but I promised my mom that I would catch up with all of my homework,"