31

Spencer

Our short trip has come to an end.

Harry and I have been driving home for the past 3 and a half hours, so we were very close to being home. Somehow, I didn't end up falling asleep at all during the trip back home. That just means that I'll be falling asleep sooner than I want to once we actually make it back home. But that's alright.

For the past few hours, Harry and I had been talking about what we're going to be doing for the rest of our summer before our last year of high school begins. So far, we've come up with nothing. As of now, I was going through Harry's phone to find a song we would both like.

"John Mayer?" Harry asked.

"Not in the mood for that today," I sighed. "Fleetwood Mac?" I looked over at him.

"Not the right time,"

"I guess we get to sit in silence," I said as I put his phone down in one of the cupholders.

"We could talk like normal people do," he suggested.

"I'd rather not," I joked.

"Oh, good. I was worried I would have to actually talk to you for the next half an hour," he grinned.

"I love you," I said to him. "Even though I swear you cheated at scrabble,"

"How many times do I need to say that I didn't cheat?" he asked as he turned down yet another road that got us closer to his house.

"You can say it as many times as you want, I still think you cheated," I answered. "I don't think anyone could be that good at scrabble,"

"Ask my mom. She's the one that I would always play with," he shrugged. "She's lucky that she has won against me at least once,"

"I will win at scrabble, I promise you," I said. "What are the plans for when we get back?"

"I have no idea, but my mom texted me this morning saying she has a surprise for the both of us,"

"Does that mean it's a good surprise or a bad one?" I turned my body towards him.

"I have no idea," he shrugged. "I'm guessing it's not really a surprise but she just wants us to be excited,"

"So, I should be overly excited?" I asked. "I don't know how I should react to a surprise that may not be an actual surprise,"

"Just react how you would normally, but if you feel weird about it then look over at me and I'll let you know if you need to tone it down or not," he explained.

"I can do that," I nodded as we turned onto his street. "I don't want to go back to real life. I want it to be just us on our own," I pouted as he parked in his driveway.

"We have about a month and a half before we go back to school so we have to take this time and make it worth it. This is our last hoorah where it's just us for a while. Soon we'll have eyes on us all day for months, let's enjoy this time while we can," he explained as he turned off his truck and pulled the keys from the ignition.

"You're right," I nodded. "Let's make this next month and a half the best ever before we get stared at when we go back to school," I laughed.

"We'll have to put that on hold for the rest of the day because my mom is staring out the window with a huge smile on her face waiting for us to come inside," he turned his head to find his mom looking at us.

"Let's go," he nodded as he opened up his door and climbed out. 

He opened up the backseat door and got out both of our bags. He handed me my bag after I walked around the truck over to him. I held my bag in my left hand and my phone and wallet in the other. I yawned as Harry shut the door and we began walking towards the front door of the house.