Book of Shadows

It's been days since Nico started reading the book he never thought of ever touching again. He tried the simplest spells he could ever find but none of which worked. Well, aside from knocking off a glass of water when he was trying to turn the water into black color. His frustration was growing.

He vowed to protect Lou but that pledge was weak. He has no way of fulfilling it. His tia has made it clear that she will do something grand. About when...he has no idea.

He slumped on his bed in frustration. What should I do?

"It's not like I can google this. This is an ancient practice." He desperately talked to himself. A ridiculous idea popped in his head.

He immediately got out of bed and turned on his computer. On google search he typed "Witch forums".

He didn't expect much but when several websites and forums pulled up, his mind was blown. "Nothing ancient can escape google." he chuckled at his own words. What a dork.

After patiently searching for a trusty website, he signed in to one of its forums. It took him a while to fill out the registration form. It's quite shady but this was his last resort.

When he clicked submit, a pop up box said "A moderator will review your submission. You will be notified once your registration is approved". His anxiety grew.

What if these are all bogus? What if I don't get any answers before everything's too late? What if I really can't save Lou?

He was about to get up when his computer chimed. His heart raced as he read what's written on the pop up message.

Your registration has been approved.

That was fast.

He then began writing his very first post.

How do I AWAKEN?

A bunch of comments instantly popped up. It's as if they were waiting for him to post. Some were asking for his ethnicity, which witches/sorcerers' ancestry did he come from, his age, his zodiac, rising sun, moon, ascending. Nothing made sense, he cannot fathom what these people were asking from him.

Finally, he commented.

I have no idea what you guys are asking from me, all I have is an ancient book I inherited from my family back in Cernégula in Spain.

A new commenter asked.

What kind of book? Can you post it?

He went to his bedside table and a feeling of uneasiness at the pit of his stomach took over him as he touched it. He then felt weakened as he tried to lift it, and all of a sudden, he's unable to move it even an inch.

What the hell?

Nico decided to take out his phone to take a picture of it but the lights went out as soon as opened his camera. He turned around and saw that only the lights went out, his computer was still on.

He went back and typed in.

Guys, I don't think the book desires to be revealed. I can't lift it or even take a picture of it. It has no title on it, just symbols I don't understand.

Can you please describe the symbols on the cover?

That was when the computer shut down. When the screen went black, he saw his silhouette on its reflection and a woman standing behind him.

"WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!" He exclaimed out loud. He instinctively turned around and saw no one. The light turned back on and his phone chimed.

It was a text from an unknown number. He tried to calm down before opening the message.

-What the heck do you think you're doing?

-Excuse me? Who is this?

-It doesn't matter. What are you doing trying to reveal your own ancient book of shadows?

He was flustered with the question. How did this person get my number?

-Are you there? Let me call you.

He did not answer the call. How can he trust a total stranger?

-I know what you're thinking. Okay, I will give you some time to think but DO NOT post anything about describing your book.

Fair enough.

-Who are you?

-Someone who will help you.

He attentively noticed the word "will".

-How can I trust you? And why are you doing this?

-You don't have to trust me just yet. I will help you, whether or not you'll agree.

-???

-Take a seat.

-Why?

-Just do so!

He slowly sat on his bed. This is not making any sense, but what else does, anyways?

He was about to text back saying he just sat down but another text came from the stranger.

-Now sleep.

-What? Why and how can I sleep-

A pair of bare feet appeared in his peripheral vision and startled as he was, he didn't feel any threat. He slowly looked up and saw a young lady wearing a flowing white dress with black butterflies and flowers latched all over the fabric.

Her hair was the blackest hair he ever saw and his eyes were as blue as the ocean. She was ethereal.

"Don't be deceived. This is just the projection of my power. Not really my true form." Her voice was angelic, it could pass as a lullaby.

"Who..who are you?" He asked, still entranced with her beauty.

"We were just texting." The last word came out like a joke to her. "Ahh..how the times have changed."

"It was..you? How..how did.."

"I told you to sleep didn't I?"

"Yeah, but I didn't-"

"You're dreaming right now."

"Wh-what?" He still cannot believe what this woman was saying but deep in his guts, something powerful was telling him to trust her.

"I know it's confusing. But we don't have time. Your life's in danger."

"I know."

"No. You only know half of it. Two massive forces are coming to get you. If you don't awaken soon, your power will be taken by either of the two. And they will cause great havoc."

"How..will I do that? And why are you helping me?"

"I will see you in person. Now that.." she gestured her arms around and scanned his place "..I know where you live. And I am helping you because...my ancestors were the serfs of your great ancestors of witches and sorcerers."

"Serf..what-"

Before he could continue his question, the woman bent her left knee and extended her right hand above her bowed head.

"My liege."