Kismet

Nico could compare his exhaustion, impatience and anger to the blazing fire he's intently staring at, at the moment. All these colors, blending and crackling all over the place just like how he couldn't get a grip of all of these emotions inside him.

"Why.." Nico groaned in utter annoyance. "Why does it have to be one of them?"

A loud clang of aluminum jolted Nico from his grumble and saw Tish when he turned around from facing the bonfire. Her face radiated the fire's light and it took him some time to readjust with how she looks. She looked so...normal. Nothing could compare with the ethereal beauty that she is whenever she's using witchcraft.

Yet, he could say that he's a lot more comfortable to hangout with this ordinary looking Tish. He's lost count of how many times she showed up looking like a complete goddess and then a typical girl at any moment. He has not seen her transform, she just appears and disappears.

Looking at her now, she appears so innocent and tame, small and modest, real and humanlike. Nothing like the goddess he saw bathing at the stream not far from their camp. It was just a quick glimpse at her majestic nakedness, but it's a memory that visits his thoughts often.

"This isn't something you can logically explain, Nic." She handed him a thermos mug and sat down on the ground across from him. He blinked hard as he retracted his thoughts back to the present. "It was your own magick who chose him. How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"I just don't understand, Tish." He ran his hands over his face, trying hard to control his thoughts and emotions. "Of all people, why would I want "them" to be involved with her? That's the last thing I would do. Why wouldn't my magick know that?"

He successfully diverted his mind back to what's important.

"It's pointless to try and make sense of it all, Nic. You better drink up and rest, for now." She nodded towards the black liquid in the thermos mug. "We still have a lot to do tomorrow."

Nico gave in and just bobbed his head in agreement. He's exhausted as it is; this had been the most draining day all throughout the week that they stayed in that forest mountain. He was awake most of the time; resting in sleeping bags inside their tiny uncomfortable tents only for a few hours in the evening and up again at the break of dawn.

He chugged the bitter sweet liquid down and instantly, he felt fortified. It was the only thing they needed to sustain their food-less days. They cannot have anything that wasn't of pure magic, not even a wild berry. This will last until he's fully awakened; a moment they aren't certain when or if it will ever happen.

He glanced up to her again and caught her staring at him with almost-hopeless eyes. She's been very patient towards him and the situation they are in. The only successful spell he has ever done was the rope binding spell he did to save Louisa that day; which he almost failed to do and even endangered Tish.

He felt that familiar pang of guilt towards her.

"I don't know how many times I would be apologizing to you throughout this....ordeal." He sighed. "I can't seem to control my emotions. Hell, I can't even pin down my own thoughts."

His focus was one of the things that made him a good artist. He could go on for hours and hours of just concentrating on a specific craft. But he's been struggling to do so since all of this mess began.

"No shit, Sherlock." Tish snorted and shrugged before swigging her own potion down. She sighed, satisfied with the invigorating effect. She then laid down on the grass looking up at the dark sky with sparkling gems scattered all over it. "Aaaahhh. This will never get old."

Nico also looked up and smiled. They've been in the forest for a week now but he too, never got used to the peace and quiet. Living in the city for many years, he's never seen this many stars.