Chapter 3, Confrontation

*No one's POV*

They had arrived twenty minutes early, which surprised them because Tony seemed to be procrastinating. Although technically speaking they couldn't blame him. He really only did this sorta thing for appearance.

Tony place each Avenger around the field, surrounding where the competition was being held. "Look for any building an arc reactor. Also-"

Each avenger froze, feeling their soulmate mark buzzing. Their soulmate was here. It was stronger for some of them because they were closer. They each started searching their own sections, trying to pick out their mate in a crowd of many.

"Our mate's here, what does your marks feel like. Mine feels like a heavy buzz." Steve asked, wondering if the others all felt the heavy buzzing.

"Mine feels itchy."

"I have a light buzz."

"My mark just feels warm."

The rest of them only felt slight tingles. They all concluded that Steve was the closest. It wasn't long before Steve spotted someone. "I think I found her, let me just double check."

Taking a few steps forward he waits to see if the buzzing grows. It does. "I found her, far back left table. She also seems to be making an arc reactor."

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw all of the Avengers automatically look at the back table. Then he noticed a girl holding a baby come over to their mate. The child was crying and when their mate picked it up, it quieted down when she turned.

"Is it just me or does it look like our mate has a baby?" Nat said through the comms.

"Wait what? Did you say baby? Is she still working on the arc reactor?" Tony questioned rapidly.

"Yes and yes. Don't worry, I'm just as confused as you are." Stephen responded.

Throughout the rest of the time they watched their mate, occasionally glancing around at the other contestants. They watched as she took care of the child and also worked on building an arc reactor. Five minutes before the end, Tony beckoned them up to the front and they all lined up behind him.

"TIME'S UP. DROP EVERYTHING!"

"Some of you must have noticed, the Avengers have been watching you all for the past twenty minutes. Please take of your number and place it under whatever you constructed. Remember what you're number is because you will be called up by that. Once you've done that, please make your way back into the school building so the Avengers can assess your results."

They silently watch as the crowd starts moving towards the school, trying to find their mate again. For a split second Tony catches her eyes, but then she's lost in the sea of people.

Tony went down and slowly looked through the tables. About two rows in, he found a completed arc reactor. After quickly looking over the written test his eyes widened as he saw that this kid had gotten all but one right.

"Uh- kid number 15 he's gonna be first place!" He called up to the front.

He continued looking through the tables finding places 2nd and 3rd. As he got to the last row he saw that the others were crowded around one table. Once he arrived he tapped them on the shoulder.

"You wouldn't happen to let me through, would you?" He said sarcastically.

"It's our mates table, look at what she did." Bruce said, moving aside.

Looking at the table, there was an almost complete arc reactor and an 100% correct test.

"WOW, not even Bruce could get 100%. But she didn't finish the arc reactor." Tony quietly said.