Chapter 4, Lost and Found

I could've been born with a normal family. Parents that loved me, daily activities, basically the average life. But no. I never had a father, my mom died almost three weeks ago and I have twin baby sisters to take care of.

And here Flash was, threatening me and them. Although I was panicked and scared, I had to control my emotions.

"What, are you stupid as well as a slut? I. said. stand. up."

I slowly stood, wary of what he was going to do next.

"What do I need to do to make you leave me alone."

He smirked, "Give me the internship and certificate, then say you cheated."

I nod. I had suspected as much. "Fine. I'm going to go to my bag to get the internship and certificate papers, but I can't say that I cheated."

With slow movements I went to the bag and grabbed the papers, handing them to him. He glared at me.

"If you won't say that you cheated, then we'll have to even it out a different way."

Then he tried to punch me. Keyword 'tried'. It was very sloppy and I was dodging it before it had even started. But then I saw a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye.

"We have the bastard babies, don't move."

I froze and my mind did to. One half was saying, protect them, protect them, protect them. The other half was saying, you can't show your powers, you'll be a freak then sent to a lab.

Thankfully the decision was made for me, when a doorway opened up from thin air, and something that looked like the military came out.

The stories.

Bedtime stories.

The ones that mom told me every night.

She had said they were real but I hadn't believed her. Now I did.

*Flashback (when she was 6)*

We were in the 3rd apartment in two years. It was small and only had three rooms. The kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedroom. But that was all we needed. We had each other.

"We have a new story tonight! It's a true one, and one day it might be helpful for you so listen carefully."

"Okay mommy!" I snuggled into her side on the small bed.

"One time, there was this government. They knew, well, thought, that they could control everything. Whenever someone messed up, they would come through a doorway looking like the military."

"They sound like bad guys mommy. Did the superheroes defeat them?"

"They were the bad guys sweetheart. But let me tell the story. After they came through the doorway they'd zap the person that messed up with a stick and take him away."

"Didn't his family miss him?"

"No, because the bad guys would put a small jar of liquid down and press a button. Everything would be erased and the mistake would be fixed. No one would ever know that it had happened in the first place."

"So did the good guys realize what the bad guys were doing?" I questioned, my little six year old brain racing.

"I was one of the good guys who saw what they were doing. Only one other person knows but he may have forgotten. I escaped the bad guys and am going to teach you how to fight them."

"I'm gonna beat them up, like pow! PoW! pOw!"

"You're going to do a great job." My mom said laughing. "But remember, sometimes you have to outthink them."