Chapter 23, First Word(s)

When Bruce left, Steve broke the news to Peter.

"Clint is missing."

While I already knew this from earlier, by chest tightens at the reminder. Peter stares, wide-eyed, at Steve. I've already set the twins in their bed across the room in anticipation of anything that may happen.

"As far as we know, he's alive and okay. We're assuming that because your mark hasn't changed and you haven't been majorly affected by anything. We think he left a note, but Nat doesn't understand what it says."

I can see Peter begin to fidget with his hands, clearly stressed. "There's people looking for him right? Can I help?" His breathing is uneven and I scoot over to him and wrap my arms around him.

"Yes, Stark has people looking for him as does Fury. Nat has reached out to some of her contacts to keep an eye out for him. As for helping..." Steve takes a deep breath and sighs. "Right now? There isn't really anything you can do. We have little to no clues or evidence of who or what took him, or even if someone took him in the first place. Because of that I don't think it's safe for you to go out there and search for him on your own."

As tears start to roll down Peters face, it sets off my own tears. I don't know if they are for him or with him, but I do know that I am immensely sad and scared. He buries his face into my shoulder and I hold him as the sobs begin to intensify. Steve puts a hand on his back, but looks unsure as to what he's supposed to do now.

I do wish that Bruce or Stark were here, Peter definitely had a deeper connection with them then he did with Steve.

I want to say 'it's gonna be okay.' But I can't guarantee that. Clints circumstances are too unknown, so if I tried to say that, everyone would know it's a lie. Composing myself a little, I turn, ever so slightly, to look at Steve. He's visibly exhausted and I'm seriously considering asking what's going on with Bucky to make Steve look so haggard.

"Go rest." I say to him through my mind. 

He mouths 'are you sure?' 

I nod, "There isn't much you can do here. Peter's emotions are all over the place, I don't think he wants anyone talking to him right now."

Steve nods and says a silent goodnight, before leaving the room.

Peter continues to sob silently and I push my own emotions down to send waves of comfort through our bond. I close my eyes, gently holding him as I focus on comforting him.

I feel him relax into my hold and his sobs begin to quiet. When I open my eyes again, I look at the time and it's already been an hour. Looking down, I see that he's fallen asleep. I try to lay him gently onto his back so he can sleep comfortably but his grip on me tightens.

"Don't go." He mumbles, half asleep.

"I'm not leaving, I'm just trying to lay us down so we don't wake up with sore muscles." He doesn't say anything, but his grip lightens ever so slightly. After I lay him down, I quietly inform him that I'm going to check on the twins and I'll be right back.

When there's no visible response, I head over to where the twins were. Due to my earlier encounter with Loki my room was out of commission right now. So we had set up a mattress in Peter's room for the twins to sleep on. The both of them were cuddling each other, but only Nova was awake. She smiled at me when I bent over but didn't move to do anything.

I smiled back, reassured, and then went back to Peter's bed. Not sure what he needed by way of comfort, I lay next to him. He quickly rolled over and hugged me tight.

"You have to stay. I can't lose you too." He says just loud enough for me to hear.

"We're going to do everything we can to find him. I promise." I deflect his request, because I have a sinking suspicion about this whole situation. He pushes back slightly to look me in the eyes.