Chapter 22, Gone

I followed Steve out of the room and he led me over to his room. "Is everything okay? Is someone hurt?" I questioned. Steve shook his head and closed the door.

He took a deep breath, "First of all, don't do that again."

I cross my arms. "What, you mean don't protect my siblings?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose, as if a headache was forming. "No- I- That's not how I meant that to come out. It's just-" He sighs and goes over to sit on the bed.

"I completely support you protecting your siblings, but you need to be more careful. For future reference, I would rather that you detain the threat if possible. I mean, there's physical evidence of what happens when you can't completely control yourself." He gestured back the way we had come.

At that, all of the fight drains out of my limbs. "Yeah, I realize that now. But I can't just stan-"

"I know. And I wouldn't expect you too. But if you think you can't completely control yourself, then call one of us or just run. It's not as simple as potentially injuring an innocent citizen. Despite our various abilities, and the many things that the group of us have done for this planet, if the government deems us a threat, then we will be in danger for life. Even if you don't mind and are willing to fight them, think of the twins. As of right now, they don't have much of a say in their future. Not to mention that they also have powers like you and Wanda."

I come over to him and sit in his lap while hugging him. "I forgot about that." I mumble into his shoulder.

"You also need to know that nobody besides us, your soulmates, and Loki, know about the twins having powers. And only a limited amount of people know about your powers, some of which include Fury and a couple of people that he's told." His hand comes up to stroke my hair as he continues. 

"Since you haven't been formally introduced to the public as an enhanced individual, we need to be even more careful. I mean, what do you think would happen if their first glance of your powers was because of you damaging something because of a momentary lapse of control?"

"Mhm, yeah." I say, pushing myself upwards to give him a small peck on the lips. "But that's not all is it? You've been acting off ever since you told me good morning in the kitchen." He had smiled a little when I had kissed him, but it disappeared when I asked him that question.

"Yeah. I got some news from Nat."

"Bad news? Why do you look so solemn?"

"Partially. Nat and Bucky had to make a detour to a friends."

"Okay, that means that they're done with their mission right? When are the coming back? Wait. What about Clint?" I bombard him with questions, mostly because I have an unsettling feeling.

"That's the bad part of the news. Natasha and Bucky aren't sure when they'll be back, but they're at least in a position where they can regularly contact us. Yes, their mission is done but there were some complications."

An uneasy feeling began to grow in the pit of my stomach. "Complications." I state, waiting for him to continue.

"One of those complications required Nat and Buck to take the detour I mentioned. The other is that Clint is now missing."

As the air is stolen from my lungs I gasp out, "He's not dead right?"

Steve shakes his head. "From our knowledge no, he isn't. From the information that Nat was able to give us, it looks like he left of his own free will. Why he chose not to tell us anything baffles all of us. We think he left a note for us, but Nat doesn't understand what it says."