Chapter XVI - Naru

~Previously~

before I fell asleep I heard him mumble, "I love you."

~Now~

I woke up dazed and confused. I slept really good for once. No nightmares, my back doesn't hurt, and I never got cold. I tried to move around to stretch my muscles when I finally felt the restrictions of Sasuke's arms and legs.

All in one second it all came rushing back to me. My entire body started getting hot as I slowly tried to make an escape. When I remembered what I said right before I went to sleep...

My first response was to bolt. I got up, pulled some pants and a t-shirt on and I ran to the living room. I started mumbling to myself and I rocked back and forth.

"ᴴᵉ'ˢ ᵍᵒᶦⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ʰᵃᵗᵉ ᵐᵉ. ᴴᵉ'ˡˡ ᵈᵉᶠᶦⁿᶦᵗᵉˡʸ ʰᵃᵗᵉ ᵐᵉ. ᴺᵒ ᵈᵒᵘᵇᵗ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ᶦᵗ... ᴴᵉ'ˡˡ ᵖʳᵒᵇᵃᵇˡʸ ᵗʰᶦⁿᵏ ᴵ'ᵐ ᵈᶦˢᵍᵘˢᵗᶦⁿᵍ ᵃⁿᵈ ʰᵒʳʳᶦᵇˡᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ʰᵉ ᵖʳᵒᵇᵃᵇˡʸ ʷᶦˡˡ ᵗʰᶦⁿᵏ ᴵ ʷᵃˢ ᵗʳʸᶦⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵉᵗ ᶦⁿᵗᵒ ʰᶦˢ ᵖᵃⁿᵗˢ ˡᵃˢᵗ ⁿᶦᵍʰᵗᵎ"

"Hey, kit, it'll be alright! Calm down," Kuruma said softly in my mind.

I tried. I really tried. But I knew I ruined it. I finally made a REAL friend... And I messed it up. The one person in my entire life that has ever shown true compassion for me. The real me. Old man cared for me, and I love the old geezer... But he never saw through my mask nor cared to think I might've not been as ok as I made myself out to be.

I was broke out of my thoughts when I heard a door down the hall open. Soft footsteps could be heard moving down the hallway towards the living room where I was. Out of pure anxiety I got up and ran out the front door. I can't face him... I didn't have enough time to put on shoes. I ran and ran and ran. While running I tripped over my feet multiple times, but I had to keep on going. I never meant for it to be like this.

I finally I reached a secluded place of the park. I sat on a rugged, old bench. It started to sprinkle and I just watched as the rain drops made ripples in the lake in front of me. I looked up to the treetops above me. Sheltering me. Just like Kurama did when I was younger.

After the villagers would beat me and I found myself in the familiar place of my mind scape... He would wrap his tails around me and I would sleep next to him until I woke up the next morning. Kurama has been the only one that has stuck with me through the years. Even though many people would tell me that he was the reason for my suffering I disagree.

But as always I have intrusive thoughts. I can't help but think that Kurama doesn't actually like me. What if he just is being nice to make his stay in my mind scape a little better. But I shook off the thought. Kurama does love me. He wouldn't of comforted me throughout the years if he didn't.

I was so focused on my own thoughts that I didn't notice it started to rain really heavy. The rain poured on me and my hair was wet, the water weighing down my soft spikes. My clothing was wet and it stuck to my skin. I looked down to my watch that I had gotten at the jewelry shop a couple days ago.

9:14

I knew I should go... But I felt like I couldn't face him, especially after I ran out like that. What if he didn't even hear me last night. He'll probably think I'm crazy if he found me like this. Tears mingling with the rain.

I should go back... Before they start worrying about me. I'm just a burden to them anyway, I shouldn't cause them anymore distress.

I got up and was about to start walking when I felt his chakra. He was quite a ways away, maybe 10 meters. Our eyes met. I started to cry again, just my luck. I tried to run but I tripped again. It wasn't Before long that he caught up. I pulled my knees to my chest and look down.

I felt so embarrassed. Times like these make me wish the villagers just killed me in the past. I mean, they had the chance. I probably would be dead by now if it weren't for Kurama.

Once again I was broken out of my thoughts by a hand on my shoulder, "Naruto. What's wrong?!"

I looked up quickly for our eyes to meet. I quickly looked away and tarted mumbling again. He put his hands on my cheeks and made me look to him. "Naruto. Calm down."

He knelt down and stared into my eyes. I felt as he ran his fingers through my hair in an attempted to relax me. Soon I could feel my breathing become normal and my heart to stop beating so fast.

"Better?"

I slowly nodded. He smiled and we sat in silence for a while. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Why are you sorry Naru?"

I blushed and said, "for running off... And worrying you." The last part was whispered.

"It's ok Naru. You don't have to worry, " he paused for a moment, "Why did you run off?"

I diverted my eyes away from him again...

"Please tell me Naru, I want to be here for you."

"Because... I thought I heard you coming down the hall..."

"You were running away from me?"

I just nodded.

"Why?"

"Be-because of la-last n-night," I could feel the tears burning behind my eyes.

"You ran away because we slept together? We don't have to do it again... If you don't want too," he seemed disappointed.

"N-no! I like sleeping with you!"

His eyes widened and I clapped my hand over my mouth. I felt tears roll down my cheeks.

"Naru... About what you said last night."

I couldn't take it anymore. He knows. He hates me. Any chance I had of having any kind of a relationship with him is over.

"Did you mean it?" I flinched, "Did you mean it when you told me that you love me?"

I didn't know how to respond. He didn't seem mad, or at least pissed off mad...

"I-Its ok if you don't want to answer... I was just asking bec-"

"I meant it..." I whispered. I don't even know if he heard me. "I-I'm sorry! I know that I ruined everything. And it's all my fault. I knew it couldn't last forever... I-Im glad that I got to spend some time with you at least," I laughed bitterly. I got up to leave. I didn't need his response. His shocked face said it all. Just as I was about to walk away he got up and grabbed my hand.

"Don't go... Please?" He said with his head down.

"W-why?" I said as my voice cracked and more tears fell.

"Naruto..."

I prepared myself for the words he had to say.

"I... I don't hate you."

I looked up really fast and saw that he was crying too... He pulled me into a hug and whispered, "I love you too."

I felt my heart skip a beat as I relaxed in his arms as more tears fell.