Chapter 21

Azalea Garcia

My vision was restricted by white blinding lights shining through my closed eyelids making me squint in discomfort. I blink my eyes multiple times to get rid of my blurry vision.

I sit up in the uncomfortable unknown bed and look around the clinical room. Confusion scatters my brain. It was at that point that reality kicked in.

I wasn't safe. My father was free. The man of my nightmares was out. My heart starts to pound faster against my ribcage and shaky breaths escape my dry mouth.

The heart monitor that was connected to me started to beat faster causing more panic to stir.

Nurses soon come rushing into the small room and a faint blurry vision of my brother is all I see before I black out.

=================================

My eyes open once again and I instantly remind myself to stay calm. I sit up slowly and look over to see my brother slouched in one of the hospital chairs by my bed.

His eyes are closed but his face is pulled into a stressed frown making me feel guilty. This was all my fault. I ruined his life. I ruined everything for him.

My cheeks grew wet making me realise that I had started crying. I held my hand over my mouth to stop the sobs but it was no use.

These were the worst cries.

My brother Shoots up from the chair worry evident on his face. When he sees me he rushes over to the bed and grabs my hand.

"What's wrong Az are you in pain? Do you want me to get a doctor?" He asks looking concerned. More sobs rack through my body and he pulls me into a tight hug.

After a couple minutes of Aster hugging me and stroking my hair I calm down. "Azalea please tell me what's wrong" he pleads.

I look up at him and speak "I'm so-sorry. I've made your li-life so miserable I-I mean I ca-can't do anything right a-and you should be enjoying your l-life not looking after me and I c-cause you so much pain and s-stress an-"

I was cut off by Aster putting a hand over my mouth. "Why would you say such stupid things. You haven't made my life miserable in fact you've made it a lot better. I don't care that I haven't been able to experience what some people my age do because I have you. You won't be this old forever and eventually you will grow up and leave me so why would I hate the time I have with you now. I cherish the time we have because I know it won't last forever. I love you Azalea and If I didn't want to take responsibility for you then I wouldn't of took it upon myself to move here. You need to understand that I am happy and you don't make me miserable or make my life harder. Okay?"

I nod at him and bring him into another hug. His words soothes me a lot knowing that at least I wasn't a burden on him. "I love you Aster" I say before my eyes close shut and I drift off into a calm sleep.

===============================

I was woken up by small chatter coming from behind the door. Just by hearing the low voices and a higher pitched voice I knew it was Jax, Ryder and Amelia.

A loud knock vibrates through the door and I tell them to come in. They all stand in a line by the door looking cautious which made me giggle.

"I h-havent got a-a disease you ca-can come closer" I say and roll my eyes. They all come and sit around my bed and I see that they had brought me some things.

A box of chocolates had been placed on the side as well as an iced coffee which made me grin. It's about time, I'm having coffee withdrawals very badly right now.