Year 6 - 158

Astrid left sometime later, just after Blaise appeared knocking at the door, demanding he was let in. The lad had been all smiles which was very unusual to see, but Astrid couldn't deny it was a pleasant change.

Malfoy and Astrid had stood there, looking at one another while the latter held her hand over the doorknob, contemplating an appropriate goodbye, all until she gave a small smile and just walked away. This was the very first time they were really trying to build something in their relationship - when they were trying to be nothing more than friends and trying to understand and help the other. Because even the previous year when they had worked together on researching the daughter, neither had really cared about the other. It had been more like a game. This was the first time they were trying to actually be what Astrid would call friends - caring, listening and protecting. It was new for both of them and Astrid considered it incredibly refreshing.

A genuine grin on her face, Astrid skipped back towards her dorm, hoping she would not find it occupied again. To her great luck, it wasn't. Breathing even easier, she waltzed into the room and instantly went to her chest of drawers over the top of which her rings had been placed. As much as she liked Malfoy's, they were big on her. They could easily slip off and such thought did not bring her any comfort.  So, quickly, the girl switched them out, a sigh of relief escaping her once she felt the comforting weight of her own rings hide her fingers.

There were two reasons Astrid decided she would go and return the rings to Malfoy right that moment. For one, it was polite to bring his things back. But the other reason was that, oddly enough, she just wanted to see him again. 

She didn't yet, but she wanted to learn to trust him again. She had a hope she would... besides, he had been right. Telling him what she had been thinking had left her feeling much lighter. As if she didn't have to carry all of the weight alone anymore.

In no time she was back in front of the door to the boys' dormitory. The rings fisted in her hands, she knocked twice before pushing the door open.

"You just have to go for it, mate," she caught the sentence of Blaise before either of the lads had noticed her.

"But-" Malfoy began, uncrossing his arms, until suddenly he stopped, his eyes widening a little as he noticed who had returned.

"Hello," Astrid stepped further inside, smiling softly. She walked up to him and held out her hands, showing Malfoy the rings in her hands. "I brought them back."

Blaise, who stood with his arms crossed, furrowed his brows, confused as to what exactly was going down.

"Oh," Malfoy breathed and she poured the metals into his hands.

He said no more and just like the first time the two just stood looking at one another at a loss as to what to do. They could hug... but that Astrid feared would feel a bit forced. Not just that, but she would not want to pull away. His arms were the most comforting, no matter she trusted him to hold her or not. 

Astrid stepped back. Malfoy gave a small smile and she smiled too which only made the lad smile a little wider and then her smile even more so. 

"That's it then," she breathed and took another step back, still looking at him. Maybe she did want him to hug her after all...

But nothing happened so she just turned around to walk away without another word of goodbye. Speaking actual words of adieu felt too formal somehow.

Ninomae couldn't see as she stepped out over the threshold but Draco raised his hand, opening his mouth as if to stop her, but then closed it again just as quickly, dropping his arm by his side.

"Dude!" Blaise exclaimed and Astrid could hear the way Malfoy sighed. She wondered what it was they had even been talking about.

"I can't," the familiar voice of the platinum-blonde droned, just as she was closing the door. "Not now. And not anytime soon."