Year 7 - 191

Lately, the world had gotten rather stressful. The news of marriage had filled her both with joy and great sorrow. Daphne felt as if she was being forced to make an impossible choice.

On one hand, she had her little sister - her little baby whom she hated and loved all the same. Quite the opposite of herself, Astoria had always prioritised love. She dreamt of a meaningful romance, of children and a till-death-do-us-apart husband - one that she would not joke of executing. Often, Astoria spoke of how frustrated the prejudice of their family made her, how she wanted to change things, how she knew she had less time then others and therefore she wanted to be the best possible person she could be.

Just thinking about it, brought tears to Daphne's eyes...

It was only just a week ago on the weekend when the Greengrass sisters were informed that the marriage would take place at the start of the following year. Naturally, Astoria had objected, her old crush long gone with the change of her beliefs and the semi-friendship she and Astrid had developed over the years whenever they had gotten to chat, both being close with Daphne and all. A brawl had ensued when Astoria had objected to their parents. Through an exasperated yell, their mother had revealed that the girl hadn't the time to grow old and wait for her prince charming. Or raise her children. Or change the world.

Astoria had a blood curse. She would pass before anyone else who was still in the family would.

Daphne could not imagine what on earth she would do after.

Her sister had around two decades to live and never before Daphne had been so aware of the passing time. And in the time that they did have, she wanted her sister to have all that she had ever wanted. Once it had been a pale, snobbish, older Slytherin boy who came from a rich, respected family and sometimes flirted with her. A girl's first love, as some would call it.

But then... On the other hand, Daphne had Astrid. Astrid Ninomae - the bestest of her friends with whom she had stuck by since the very first glance they had set on one another. 

Clear as day, Daphne could remember the first time she had glanced up at Astrid, briefly looking up from the awful silver of her nails. The girl had just been stepping into the small boat when she stumbled and almost fell into the lake. But, unnoticed by others, she had straightened herself and then sat down, wide brown eyes staring at the Hogwarts castle looming in the distance. Honestly speaking, Daphne had considered the girl to be inane.

But then Astrid had opened her mouth, and now there they were... still friends after 6 whole years, even after all the shit Daphne was embarrassed she had thought and said during their first years of school. Now that she had really sat down to think of it, Astrid had never had an easy life, contrary to what it might've looked like with the way she acted. She had been bullied. She had to literally fight her way onto the Quidditch team. She had found out about her family and then a whole bunch of other things had happened that Daphne didn't want to think about if she didn't wish to begin crying again. 

Astrid was going through hell and it hurt so much more because she didn't even really know what was going on. It hurt because if she didn't know what was happening she couldn't figure how to help, and there was nothing else she wanted to do other than help. 

So many years Daphne had spent taking. Lately, she was beginning to want to give, but nobody was taking from her.

Daphne wanted her best friend to have all that she had ever wanted. For a long time now, one of those people was a pale, snobbish, older Slytherin boy who came from a rich, respected family and had for long wanted her just the same.

Daphne didn't know why he didn't anymore. Or why they weren't talking at all. Astrid wasn't telling her anything so Daphne knew accordingly.

Sometimes it made her wonder if that level of communication was normal and she was just telling Blaise too much. Watching him right then - the emotionless expression he wore despite the slight wetness of her eyes - she wondered if he even cared. Had any of the words spoken from her heart had meant anything to him at all?