Summer 1997 - 167

Astrid Ninomae had ripped apart most of the books just the same as the woman she had once called her mother had tried to rip away her dreams.

It was only when the sound of his rhythmic footsteps walked into the aisle she now sat cross-legged on the ground in, that she got back to her senses and noticed the mess around her. Ripped papers and broken covers sprawled all around her, she wondered what had taken over her while simultaneously throwing a ripped up book back over her shoulder.

"What in Merlin's name are you doing?" Draco Malfoy gasped taking in the sight of her and the mess she had made. One of his eyebrows had arched upwards, showcasing a look of utter muddlement.

Astrid looked down at her hands and snickered dryly when she noticed what book she now held. Cinderella. Somehow the perfect example to show how she was feeling.

"Muggle books?" she scoffed, one corner of her lips having rid up in disgust. "That's repulsing! It's embarrassing you even have those in your house."

Malfoy merely blinked. She ripped the book apart in half and the lad's features hardened. Somehow it was amusing. Partially she was also mad at him for even having these disgusting monstrosities in his house. She knew the Dark Lord would not appreciate knowing that and she wondered if he was aware of them.

"I can't believe that woman read this to me as a child. No wonder really," Astrid ripped out one page in sheer frustration and then the other. Then one more. And more. All the while Malfoy just stared. "Shame I didn't realize she was that bloody evil stepmother all along."

Malfoy didn't respond and just stared at her for a moment, his face blank - the way it always was when he was deep in thought. It wasn't too long until he frowned and looked back down on her.

"Are you talking about your mum?"

"Mum?" Astrid was absolutely disgusted he would call that woman her 'mum'. He didn't even call his own mother 'mum' and he had the audacity to make fun of her like that. "Don't you dare call that woman my mother. She never was. She has and always will be just an irrelevant, repulsive muggle."

Astrid had never seen Malfoy this bewildered ever in her entire life. "Are you quite well?"

She scoffed and paused as she put the effort into ripping apart the tougher bind of the book. "Why would I not be?"

Malfoy looked at her like she was crazy. "Why are you saying all this?" She hated that look of his.  It made her feel stupid. But clearly, he was the stupid one for bearing muggle books.

"Why-" Astrid laughed dryly and put the book aside to let her hands form fists as she smacked one hand against the ground angrily. "Maybe because that woman is a fucking bitch!"

Malfoy rubbed his eyes, frowned and then pinched his arm.

"Why is it so unbelievable that I would hate the woman?!? Why would I not? If you don't hate people who abuse you and belittle you then you are the crazy one. Not me. I am not crazy!" The look on his face never changed. "Bloody hell that bitch almost didn't let me go to Hogwarts because she thought I was a freak. That woman said she will burn me like they did witches during the Salem Trials. So yes... I will not call that woman my mother, Malfoy. Because she fucking isn't!"

Malfoy blinked again and raised his eyes from her to stare ahead, brows furrowed in concentration. It didn't take long to understand he didn't believe her. 

"Ugh..." Astrid groaned. "I can't stand when you just glitch like that. There's no need to overthink your every word. Just spit it out!"

The boy inhaled a deep breath and then let it out slowly, his stormy grey eyes still as confused as ever. He looked down at her, opened his mouth, closed it and opened it once again. Malfoy scanned her face and finally spoke.