Year 7 - 183

Sometimes Draco wished he could bash his father over the top of his head and get away with it. But he knew, if he ever did, he'd be as good as dead. Lucius would not kill or even injure his son but he would seriously consider cutting him off his will or allowance and at the point in life he was in right then, the lad didn't really have any marketable skills. He would be as good as dead without the money.

Though with the way his father kept choosing his words in the letters he sent, Draco had an inkling he'd be cut out of his old man's will either way. He didn't know what he should do but Draco supposed he had to figure a way to earn a living. It wasn't like the Dark Lord payed them much... In fact deatheaters didn't gain any profit from what they were doing at all. Fear and the want to save their skin was what made them join. Draco concluded no income made for a very shaky economy.

Lucius constant wish for Draco to quit involving himself with Astrid made for an even shakier relationship. No matter how hard he had tried to figure it out, Draco could not reason why his parents hated her so much. Yes, she had been a pain in the arse at the Manor sometimes, but everyone became a pain in the arse if you lived with them long enough. That's how families were - one just had to learn how to tolerate the other.

Alone in his room, Draco discarded the latest letter his father had sent and inhaled a slow breath. The smell of paper and ink mixed with strong scent of the shower gel he had used and sitting back on his bed, Draco couldn't help but feel at home. Over the past two weeks since they had returned to Hogwarts, more and more things began to annoy him day by day. The boy felt he was becoming just like Rosier - quiet, grumpy and judgemental - but at least he had a solid reason. It was rare he ever got a moment of peace in this saintforsaken school, what with all the new rules and disciplines. For the first time in his life, being there felt worse than being back at the Manor.

Draco laid back and drew in the smell of familiarity. He let if wrap it's warm arms around him and pull him into a momentary bubble of safety and security. It was rare he ever felt like that anymore and he wanted to pull the feeling out to last as long as possible. Water thudded against the small circular windows in his dorm and for a moment it felt like nothing ever could ruin the atmosphere.

The door slammed open, filling his peace with arguing voices and Draco groaned, even though the random intrusion felt familiarly comfortable all the same.

"You don't have to be above a woman to be masculine," Rosier's low voice cut through the silence as she sauntered in after Theo, followed by Pansy and equally disgruntled looking Blaise.

"What if I just like being on top?" Theo forced a joke as he leaned against the stairs of his bunkbed.

Blaise laughed but Pansy and Rosier did not look satisfied. The black girl's expression fell even more when she took notice of Draco being in the room. She rested her back against his bunk. A tiny grin returned to her lips when Pansy, who had leaned back right next to her decided to speak up.

"Your stupid words could've worked in you favor if they had been true."

"It's not that deep..."

"It is," pressed Rosier and for the first time ever Theo looked annoyed with her as he shot a glance at Blaise and then even up at Draco. The girl had always set him on nerve's edge and Draco was somewhat glad others could finally see it too. Astrid had never agreed with him when he had expressed his dislike. In fact, his girl seemed rather upset her roommate had begun ignoring her. "I don't think you realize how deep the toxic concepts run in your mind."

"It's not-"

"And it becomes a problem when you begin to suffer at the expense of it. And not just you-"