Year 7 - 182

Draco knew he should've held back. Of course, he had been right. He was always right. Yet he had given into his blind lust and now something had switched inside her. 

Quiet. On their way to the train station, Astrid had not spoken a word. She hadn't even looked at him. It was only when they arrived, their expensive shoes' clacking unheard over the bustling sound of the station, that she finally paid any mind to him. Astrid slipped her hand in his and squeezed it a little bit, before raising her chin and feigning self-assurance. A light of a camera clicked from a single journalist that stood to the side, leaning against a lamppost.

Her hand squeezed a little again and for the love of Merlin, Draco could not figure if she was seeking comfort or using him for an image. Draco had read the newsletters, he had read what she told interviewers - the boy knew this felt very much like another act. 

Astrid raised her hand to run it through her hair and her loose sleeve fell away, revealing her Dark Mark. Draco's chest tightened at the sight of it. He saw the people turning to look their way and saw the hateful glare of many. Without a doubt, Draco knew people wanted her dead. The idea itself rose bile to his throat and even if he kept his face straight, he could not figure why Astrid had done that.

The photographer's eyes widened a little and in an instant, he had taken three more photos. Astrid smiled and for what felt like the first time in years, she turned to the side to look up at him.

"I think I'm winning."

Draco did not respond. He didn't know what she was talking about.

Astrid rolled her eyes but her expression remained playful as she nudged his shoulder. "Best dressed. More attention. Come on, we just made the bet this morning."

His eyes flickered down to her wrist, where the mark peeked out time from time as her sleeve jumped with their steps. How can everything be a fun game to you? He looked back into her eyes.

"Right."

Draco let go of her hand and something flickered in her expression before it relaxed again when he swung his arm around her shoulder protectively. 

The train station held loads fewer people than it usually did and it was safe to assume it was a result of the new law - no mudbloods could come to Hogwarts to learn magic. Well... technically of course they could try but there was no case scenario where that would end well for them. Slytherins dominated the station ground and familiar faces, often seen in the common room, were now leaning out the train's windows, some smiling, many awkwardly waving at their parents - all pretending that everything was okay - as if this was a year no different from others. The unusually dark sky wasn't the only giveaway that it wouldn't. 

A Dark Mark was displayed in the air above the train, the snake slithering through the skull in disturbing circles. Deatheaters swarmed the grounds, checking documents they felt like checking, questioning parents. Some were just watching.

Draco only allowed himself to relax when they reached their wagon. None of the glares could follow them inside and even if Hogwarts had become quite the antonym of 'safe', Draco was glad they'd soon be there and his girl would indeed be safe from at least some wishing to harm. These days, it felt everyone was wishing to maim everyone. Just like back during the First Wizarding War, what with the Imperius curse existing, no one could be fully trusted.

The moment they stepped on the train, Astrid slid away from his grasp, and a gush of cold air crept at the side she had just been pressed against. Her easy expression fell from her face. She corrected her sleeve to hide her Mark fully and muttered something under her breath before setting down the hallway again, without bothering to even look his way.