Chapter One

Darkness.

A thing of evil and desolation, beastly and hungry for dreams to twist them into nightmares. A monster that robs the world of all beautiful things and replaces it with death. Stories always started or ended with Darkness at every corner. Sometimes it's a friend, but more often than not, It's a foe. Through Myths and Legends, It's always there to send a message. To lay under your bed, to slip from walls, to stand in corners...

Katherina wasn't born a Shadowsinger, the darkness calls to her like a seductive lullaby.

Like Calls to like, she would say.

Katherina was the daughter of two of history's most dreaded High Fae. Her father, the Night Court's High Lord, and her mother, the Ex- High Queen of The Mountain.

With her high cheekbones, pale complexion, and auburn hair; Katherina Is a child born perfectly of her Mother. Her eyes were the only thing she possessed that resembled her father. A rich indigo color, that in the dark do they look as if shadows swirled within them.

Feyre Cursebreaker ended her mother's reign a few years after she was born; The memories of Darkness still lay in her mind, fresh and bleeding. When Katherina's mother was killed by the High Lord of Spring, watching as blood dripped from his teeth, Katherina stood there as he murdered her mother in a fit of hatred. She remembered thinking she was going to be the next. She would be murdered if it was discovered that she was Amarantha's daughter. So Katherina did what anyone would do,

She ran.

Running till she thought her legs were going to fall off. Until her lungs couldn't take in any more air. Until her throat burned and ice cut her skin- sobbing until she felt the Darkness embrace her. Against the cold breeze, it was like a warm blanket. Singing to her until her sobs turn into dried tears...The Darkness has been following her ever since. Either as a comfort against the cold weather or as a companion who would assist her in surviving. She grew to appreciate the Darkness, finding beauty in it.

She realized that you couldn't see the stars without the darkness. That you couldn't dream without it.

And Katherina, was a dreamer.

She dreamed about her father. She'd seen him many times beneath the mountain, but her mother had never allowed her to approach him. Hidden away from anything that took breath. So, she'd approach him in her head- how he would look at her, how he held her hand, kissed her goodnight, hugged her. She'd dream a dream that would never come.

Even now that she could finally meet him, Katherina decided against it. He was happy; he had an Heir and a Mate. Nyx, her younger brother who would one day become the Night Court's next High Lord. The cherished prince, Son of the Moon.

Katherina didn't want to be the one to destroy their happiness, so she'd been traveling for the past years. She had visited many Courts; Only every twice a year would she visit her Father's Court. Or whenever she wanted to dream again. Whenever she would go, she would see her father flying overhead or walking through the streets with his mate and son.

She pictured being by his side, Laughing as he laughed. Dancing with the brother he gave her, to wish of having wings to fly with them. But she couldn't do that to him. She couldn't be the reason he was reminded of a past not even she wanted to remember.

So, she never spoke a word about their relation.

Until one day, that is.