Chapter Twelve

"What in the Mother do you think you're doing?!"

Katherina exclaimed for the third time since the Darkness had broken in the room.

He seemed to disregard her protest, still feeling her up to see if she had any injuries. Katherina appreciated the fact that he couldn't see her face. She, on the other hand, is aware of how flushed she is.

Katherina pushed him away as he kneeled on the floor in front of her, his hands trailing her face, neck, and stomach until he reached her hip, the other on her thigh.

His eyes met hers, a swarm of displeasure and anger swarming his face, but he said nothing.

Of course he wouldn't understand

He couldn't understand how whenever he was near, Katherina's heart beat a bit faster. Couldn't understand how whenever he touched her, Butterflies raged in her stomach, making her turn to liquid.

He couldn't understand how she just wanted to grab his face and connect their lips like she had seen couples do so many times over the years.

Couldn't understand how she just wanted to drown in his scent of books and rain, until she had lost herself in oblivion. In him.

"Are you alright?" The Darkness whispered, startling Katherina from her reverie.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What exactly are you doing here?"

Katherina sat at the end of the bed, the Darkness in front of her.

Before responding, he took a few deep breaths.

"You weren't home."

The room was dark, and his shadows lingered in the corners, as if they were checking to see if there was anyone who could harm her.

Except for a single ray of light that escaped the closed curtains. Resting on him.  Illuminating the Immortal Body of Darkness,  His russet skin glowing against the light . And his eyes...

The butterflies thumped against Katherina's stomach. Or perhaps it was the sound of her heart.

He referred to the small apartment they shared as their 'home'...

She smiled brightly as she took his hand in hers and laid him on the bed that could fit four people. She curled up on his chest, blankets covering them, and told him everything that had happened in the previous few days. (Except for the part where her father stabbed her), and before she knew it, sleep had drawn her in.

***

Katherina and her father walked through Velaris, her periwinkle dress fluttering in the wind as they passed by people. Her father stood by her, softly smiling at them.

Katherina felt herself shine in the scorching sun. She wore a little golden necklace with earrings that connected the top of her ears to the bottom, which matched her purple clothing. A single ring in the shape of a chain rested on her finger.

They walked to several locations and stopped in a variety of shops. Her father began by asking her simple things such as what color she preferred (purple), when she was born (Summer Solstice), and so on.

The awkward suspense gradually dissipating into something more comfortable.

Katherina thought her feet could fall off when they came to a halt at a little café. Her face and neck were glistening with sweat. When she looked at her father, though, he appeared to be absolutely sweat-free.

As she called him out on it, he chuckled.

Katherina sipped her lemonade slowly while watching two Illyrian boys race through the air. Their wings shimmering in the sunlight.