Chapter Twenty-Six

The air was hot and humid, the clothing sticking to her skin, glistening with sweat. Katherina and Caldor have been staying at the Day court for about two days now.

Deciding to travel around for a while before moving on to the next court. Around them were layers of leaves, almost as big as Illyrian wings, dipping with water from last night's rain. Vines hung from the trees, blocking out most of the sun's rays.

Katherina remembered walking through the same forest a few years back. She remembered the soft feeling of the bed of leaves under her, the branches and an empty tree protecting her from the rain as she watched it fall from the sky.

It wasn't as bright and luminous as it is now, instead dark and gloomy. But it just made it more beautiful as Katherina gazed at the dark sky, clouds blocking the warmth and light of the sun.

It had been peaceful, just Katherina and the forest.

The comforting sound of water and earth colliding, rain and stone. She could remember having to sit out in the storm naked, tempting to wash herself of any dirt, letting the rain cleanse her. The chill she severed from when she air-dried until Katherina could feel the Darkness soft shadows warming her skin as he pulled her against him for the night.

She smiled at these simple memories, which she cherished. Each moment, alone, cold, sad, happy, warm. They had made Katherina who she was. A survivor. A fighter. Someone who didn't need the weight of others bringing her down, instead finding those few, ( very few ) who held her end until their end or hers.

Katherina walked ahead of Caldor, taking in the streets of gold and stone. The sweet smell of pastries filling her nose as her eyes drifted to a small cafe. Her ears intoxicated with the upbeat tune some Fae danced to just a mile of her. The wondrous feeling of sunlight hitting her skin offering no coolness but burning heat.

Katherina never meant that her Father or her new family or even Caldor dragged her down, just that after meeting them, she felt something within her begin to fade. That fighter, the survivor. There are no enemies, no pain or agony trying to eat its way into her. There was no use to travel around, Court to Court, so she didn't feel so lonely without having a home to come back to, for each new destination, new places were her home.

Katherina would admit she missed it, that freedom. But she would give it all for them, her Father, her brother, her family.

They spent the rest of the Day exploring the Forest and shops nearby, watching in amazement as they peeked at what some young Fae were working on. The Day court was known for its immense basin of knowledge and its people for their gift of inventing. Creating impossible things that even High lords would be impressed with, she sure was.

Katherina's eyes caught someone watching them as they entered their apartment. When her eyes collided with theirs, she smiled.

Turning to Caldor, she put a hand on his shoulder, making him face her.

"You go ahead and rest, I will return shortly," She pecked his cheek.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

She blushed at his concern, "Everything is perfect,"

Caldor nodded before giving her a small kiss, closing the door after she had left his sight.

"What in the Caldron are you doing?"

The male jumped at the sound of someone behind him, only to slowly relax as he saw Katherina.

"Who are you?" The male asked her, receiving a smile from her.

"It wouldn't matter," She replied, "What are you doing?"