Chapter Twenty-Seven

Katherina felt herself freeze. The sense of betrayal rising up in her throat. She couldn't read their body language, were they angry? Disgusted? The fact alone that she didn't tell them, Thea and Hemera, who other than Ziv have been important in her growing up, not tell them she was a High princess?

But then Hemera started to laugh, the sweet sound of the wind blowing gently against the leaves. Then Thea grinned at her, the smile soft like the sun warming the earth.

"When you stopped writing, we had gotten worried something had happened to you," Thea assured. Her voice like an angel, soft and soothing. Each word she spoke was like a melody.

"In your last letter, you wrote of being in the Court of Night. And when we heard there would be a coronation, we knew you had to be up to something," Hemera wrapped her arm around Katherina.

"What we didn't expect to find is you, in the most beautiful gown, with a crown of night on your fiery head," Thea pulled a piece of hair behind her ear.

Katherina looked in shock. They had been there?

"Why didn't you say anything? I would have been much happier if you'd come and said hello," Katherina explained, earning an eye roll from Hemera.

"Like we'd dared to step in front of the Lord of Stars. Besides," She smirked, saying the next part with an implication, "We wouldn't for the world miss how that handsome Illyrian kept looking at you."

Katherina felt heat warm her cheeks, "I have no idea what you're talking about," Shrugging away from Hemera's arm.

Thea laughed, "Katherina, don't be shy. Tell us all about that male of yours,"

Katherina never wished more to just sink into the earth, let in swallow her whole if only to stop this conversation from continuing.

In the end, she did tell them.

The loneliness, the darkness, the voices, the knife, the scars, the ring, the storm, the tears, the fight, the blood, the crown, the dance, the kiss, she told it all to them.

And they listen, with their ears, their eyes, their heart.

If there was one thing she could count on in this world would be them. The bond they shared was unlike anything Katherina seen. Feyre, Nesta and Elain could never build what Thea and Hemera have.

They were each other's twins, halves, sisters, skin, blood, heart. They were the other's lives, loves. The air they stole was for the two, it was like there were two bodies, one soul.

What a laugh Katherina would have when she was younger, how they'd finished the others sentences. That unknown power to communicate telepathically.

She remembered the looks males and females alike would give them, trying and failing to seduce and enchant the sisters. However they never needed a third, or a fourth. Two were enough. Why would they need someone else when in the end, having each other was all they would ever need. Could ever crave, could ever want.

"Shit," Hemera cursed, bringing somewhat a smile to her face, "Your Father really tried to kill you?"

Katherina breathed out, "Yes,"

"By all means, I'd let him rip my organs if it meant he'd make me High Lady," Hemera jokes, earning a jab from Thea.

"You'd make a wonderful High Lady," Katherina laughed.

They are, The voice whispered. But she ignored it, it would not take this moment away from her.

For the rest of the night, they chattered about thousand of nothings that to them meant million of somethings.