Chapter Thirty-Three

"Still vacationing at the Court of Dawn, I see. Tell me, Katherina, why haven't you left?"

She ignored his soothing shadows and swated them away. In no mood to sit and talk to the Darkness as she rested on the rooftop. Her family slept peacefully as she managed to slip away and think.

The Darkness had guided her through the unlit hallway to the stairs, masking each sound of the creaky wood as she sneaked off. Blind she had followed him and let the god of Nightmares lead.

It was the middle of the night and she could do anything but sleep. Maybe it was the magic of the bargain keeping her up, the now new added blood to her tattoo, the bond she tied to her promise.

Her heart felt full early tonight.

They sat near the fireplace, the logs freshly cut and its mossy smell filling the room, mixing the the scent of baked muffins sitting on the counter top.

Their laughter drunk on the stories and tales they shared of the past. Warmth and home glowed within them and Katherina realized how greedy her heart had become.

She felt an animalistic feeling to protect and care for them. The instinct to throw the crown of mountains off a cliff into the river of the forgotten.

Let it be like it was before she had gone to the Night Court that month. Living in a wrecked old apartment where her and the Darkness lived. Working non stop in a coffee shop where her skin had sweated and her muscles aching from exhaustion. Coming home to a hot bath and a home cooked meal by a God no less.

Adventure after adventure as she traveled. Except this time, she had returned and reunited with the Twins and Sahar, just like it was before the accident. Caldor right by her side as he stitched himself into their woven fate. Them passing the needle and thread.

Katherina wasn't ungrateful that the Mother had united her road to her Fathers and his family. But as she traced the tattoo reflected back at her from the bathroom mirror... she'd choose them over anything else.

As bad as that was, she didn't want to go back to night court.

Sitting here on the rooftop of Dawn, Katherina imagined how she would send a message to her Father.

"I enjoy the local cuisine."

His empty eyes reflected her, unamused.

"You cannot hide from your Father," the Darkness whispers, "Only time will tell before he starts looking for you. Poor Lord has trouble letting things go."

"I'm sure he'll understand. He hasn't even known me for a year, he can't love me that much not to let me leave."

"I recall that when he met his wife, he had only known her days and already he was willing to die for her. You, Katherina, are his blood. His daughter; and he would burn the world for you."

She felt guilt prick at her. "What would you suggest I do?"

The Darkness shifted into his Fae form, his blank eyes stayed, and ink stained fingertips as shadows flowed off his skin. "I do not understand why you must leave the Court of Night."

She raised her brown in confusion.

"As I see it, why not bring them back with you? Your home is waiting in just a few steps. And so is your crown."

"I don't care for the crown."

"Yet you wore it anyway. Didn't even argue when it rested over your pretty little head," his clawed fingers traced her jaw, something dangerous and exhilarating as she watched him. She held in a grin as she thought he reminded her of a ten-year old; curious and wondrous of the secrets she held. "I think you like wearing the title of princess."